Notices

Timing belt & pulley removal question.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:16 PM
saber1
nice guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt & pulley removal question.

Ok, this is probably been covered a bazillion times, but I was unable to find anything with the search feature.

Here's the details. About to do mini-me on my friend's 93 DX hatch (auto). I can not figure out how to remove the crank pulley. When I put the ratchet and socket on the pulley bolt, the motor just turns with the ratchet. My helm's just says, "remove pulley". Well, that's great but I can't figure out how. I have got to be missing something and its probably something simple. You guys on here with more experience working with cars, I'd appreciate your advise. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:18 PM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to lock the pulley with a special tool (snap on makes one, so does moroso).
You can also put the car into reverse (strongest gear)
You can use air tools and zip it off in one blow.

Just so you know, I needed a 6' steel fence post to break mine loose w/ the moroso tool. I also snapped my 1/2" bar before it broke loose (thank god for lifetime warranies)
Old 08-29-2005, 04:25 PM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

The 92-95 DX's don't have the hex indentation for the moroso tool on the pulley.
One method is removing the starter and jamming a good sized flat head screw driver into that area to keep the flywheel from moving. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:31 PM
saber1
nice guy

PART 2:

Ok, so which way do I turn the bolt? Since the motor spins counter-clockwise, which is "lefty-loosey", does that mean the bolt is reverse-threaded to prevent the movement of the motor from loosening the bolt? Or does the torque spec on the bolt hold the normally threaded bolt in place despite the left spinning motion of the motor?
Old 08-29-2005, 05:18 PM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen flywheels and trannies break from jamming screwdrivers in them.

The bolt turns the standard way (left) The tq on the pulley is really high
Old 08-29-2005, 07:06 PM
bambbrose

Just throw it in reverse, have a friend step on the brakes as hard as he can, and hit it up with a LARGE extension, this has yet to fail for me except on one jdm b16, in that case, I just took it to a good shop, they hit it with a very powerful gun, broke it loose, tighten it back up, and then I drove home, broke it loose myself and was good to go
Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 PM
OblivionLord

when i put it in reverse I hear feel tension not like im actually unloosening the bolt but it feels like something within the transmision or engine is really tightening up that may snap .. not the crank bolt. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
m735is

Pb Blaster the hell out of it. Some heat may help.

Sir Tools makes a tool that comes with both adapters (one for round pulley and one for hex pulley) for about $100. Two minutes and the bolt was off.

I've also used the screwdriver in the flywheel method with success. I couldn't make the push the brakes method work, in fact I think it ruined one of my flex lines.

Short of that, you could take it somewhere to have them loosen it.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:20 PM
fathergoat
:3

I did the old crowbar in the flywheel. it worked but as previously stated takes a freaking 4 foot breaker bar.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:50 PM
OblivionLord

how do you get a crowbar in the flywheel? I guess the better question is how do you get to the flywheel without taking apart the transmision because if you just get at it at the top by taking out the starter then there is no hole within the flywheel at that point to put a crowbar inside.