Notices

uneasy idle

Old 08-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Hon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uneasy idle

hey guys. ok, i took my car in because it was burning oil from i belive the head gasket. i had a spare acid cleaned+shaved head in my basement, so i had it changed aswell. when i got the car back, the mechanic said there is an uneasy idle because of the head, its producing more compression power and that it what is causing the shaky idle. i found this a little bit hard to believe, but i figured i'd find out on the side before confronting him.

oh yes, and its not a constant low idle/shake but its on and off. while stopped, it will be unsteady idle for 10 sec's or so, then it will return to normal idle and be fine for 5-10 sec's, then back again. thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:35 PM
*hybrid
/\/egative Camber

sound's like the ecu is "hunting"...possibly will clear up after a couple of days of driving...i'm not a "swap heads" expert, so i don't know if that could cause your symptons...make sure the throttle body is clean, and your MAF sensor and TPS are plugged in tight....

good luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:17 PM
extensioncordy
EG6

mine did something like that and it was the fuel filter...lol so many ppl have rough idle problems with honda's....but mine was due to a fuel filter
Old 08-25-2005, 05:08 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

I had the same issue. I cleaned the butterfly valve inside the throttle body and also the EACV or IACV on the back of the throttle body. Remove the EACV from the throttle body (only 2 12mm bolts) and leave the coolant hoses connected. The screen gets dirty. I also replaced the EACV gasket just in case. You can spray WD-40 or penetrant/brake cleaner at the screen and wipe clean. You can shake the excess and put back on the TB. Now my '92 civic idles nicely like it's brand new.

Burning oil from the head gasket?? Doesn't make sense. My car is leaking/burning oil badly. I plan on replacing the oil breather and hose which connects to the PCV valve. It may be partially clogged. This requires remove the intake manifold. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

dpkelly hit it right on the cleaning. But Your burning oil is prob rings or valve seals or guides. I would def replace the pcv valve also, but the rest should be fine. How much oil is it burning? a quart every 200 miles?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:22 AM
AliasNeo

god damn pcv valve is a bitch on a y8 lol.. so hard to get to lol
Old 09-01-2005, 03:10 PM
OblivionLord

How can you get to it on a Y8?