Notices

How do I grab a bolt that's sawed off?

Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 AM
VSLOATHE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I grab a bolt that's sawed off?

I had to cut the bolts in my rear suspension with a reciprocating saw and order all new ones from Honda (I torched them but it didn't help ) So now in order to finish the rear right, all I need to do is get this one fragment of bolt out, it's about 3/4" long and it's in the threaded portion that is welded on to the trailing arm. Needless to say it's in a somewhat awkward place, and it's not that easy to turn. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone suggests drilling it out, what kind of drill bit am I going to need to use to get through hardened steel? I have a set of titanium bits and some cobalt bits are lying around somewhere I'm sure.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:31 AM
delsol161

can you put a pic up? i had a similar problem on my rear suspension, a pic might help us figure it out.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:54 AM
VSLOATHE

I'm at work now, and the car's at my parents' garage. When I go over in about an hour I will get a pic. My dad came home last night and he might be able to give me some advice.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:00 AM
delsol161

my bolt was the one that bolts the shock into the lower control arm, driver's side. it was rusted to bad i had to cut the end off, and t was still stuck. 4 hours l8r, i was able to beat it out w/ a 5 lb sledge and a 1/4" steel rod it was horrible...

those bits might do the job, but you'll havae to cut throught those welds first. it'll help loosen it up.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 AM
VSLOATHE

What I did on the last one was heat up the welds until I could just pop them off, then I used J.B. Weld to put them back on. I would prefer to avoid that if possible this time, because it'll be a much harder area to clean to ensure I get a solid weld with J.B. Weld.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:17 AM
delsol161

no kiddiing
Old 08-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Flatland2D

I've used this method before with good success. Drill the bolt with a bit about half the diameter of the bolt itself. They make a special bit for this next part. It's a piece of hardened steel that's tapered so it's more pointy at one end than the other. There are flutes running straight down the sides, not sprialing down like a normal bit. This bit get's hammered into the hole that you drilled, then with the bit held in place by the stuck bolt, chuck it up to a drill and very slowly try to rotate it out. Of course you'd need enough room to get a drill in there, but if you're real careful and patient, you might be able to rotate it with some pliers. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Mr_Goodbar

I used to work for a company that sold taps and inserts. You can use these on stripped threads and such so it would work here. You can use them on just about everything b/c they make just about every size. What it is is a drill thats a little bigger than the threads on the welded on nut. You drill out the stuck bolt and the threads of the nut. Then you tap the bolt with a thread that's a little bigger than the original bolt. Then you screw in an insert that returns the thread to the original size.
I know it sounds kinda shoddy but Ive put these things in aircraft components for fighter jets. I know that the company had all kinds of military contracts. Do a search for Coil-Sert.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:39 PM
fathergoat
:3

if you can get it with vise grips that would be best. if not try what flatland described, they're called easy-outs. Any hardware/autoparts store should carry them. oh and get the set of easy-outs with a reverse drill bit so the bolt doesn't get stuck worse.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:16 AM
VSLOATHE

I was able to get it out with an easy-out and a torch. I bought the 5-piece set of easy-outs, because I figured this wouldn't be the only time

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Taking it to a mechanic with air tools for the rear left tonight, lol. Those bolts are too much of a PITA and I'll gladly pay them for their hour or 2 of work when it would take me another 3 days easily.