Notices

confusion on telling the difference between vtec and non-vtec

Old 08-14-2005, 03:25 PM
2000IntegraLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confusion on telling the difference between vtec and non-vtec

I always was told that if the plugs are in the front of the engine on a d-series, that it is vtec, and if they are in the back, then it is non-vtec. Is this true? Because my friend recently got a 98 dx civic coupe, and the engine chart in the online resources section says it should be non-vtec, but the plug wires are in the front in the actual car. ASAP response would be greatly appreciated. It was an engine fire car that we rebuilt, and we replaced the entire harness and it is trying to turn over, but we can not get the car to fully start. How can we check for spark? Maybe Its the fuel pump? Thanks guys.
Devin
Old 08-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by 2000IntegraLS
I always was told that if the plugs are in the front of the engine on a d-series, that it is vtec, and if they are in the back, then it is non-vtec. Is this true? Because my friend recently got a 98 dx civic coupe, and the engine chart in the online resources section says it should be non-vtec, but the plug wires are in the front in the actual car. ASAP response would be greatly appreciated. It was an engine fire car that we rebuilt, and we replaced the entire harness and it is trying to turn over, but we can not get the car to fully start. How can we check for spark? Maybe Its the fuel pump? Thanks guys.
Devin
just check the block code
Old 08-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Gh0stInTheSh3ll

If it's a stock DX, then it's non-vtec.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 PM
bambbrose

that plug in the back shit only applies to older motors. all d16y series motors have plugs in the front, and the only way to tell if vtec is the block code or vtec silinoid on the back of the head. the valve covers are all the same and all say "HONDA" and nothing else, unless you have an Acura EL
Old 08-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by bambbrose
that plug in the back shit only applies to older motors. all d16y series motors have plugs in the front, and the only way to tell if vtec is the block code or vtec silinoid on the back of the head. the valve covers are all the same and all say "HONDA" and nothing else, unless you have an Acura EL
VTEC solonoid is on the side of the head h:
Old 08-16-2005, 06:09 AM
bambbrose

I thought it was on the back right behind the dizzy on the d series?? oh well lol