Notices

Overheating problems

Old 08-04-2005, 08:25 PM
trestilne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problems

Hey guys im having a few problems with keeping my engine cool, i have a 1994 honda civic EX... swaped the engin for a b18b out of a integra LS... i bought this car about 2 weeks ago and noticed it had some overheating problems, i found out that the fan was not turning on so i hard wired it to my ignition... even with the fan running the entire time the car is on the engine is running red line hot... i changed out the thermistate for a 180 degree and still no change... i see 1 potential problem that i may try next unless i get some good ideas on the replies... the car has a header and it looks as if the radiator was changed out to make room for the header... the radiator has been moved to the side so its really blowing on the Transmition more then the engine itself... would this matter? ... a friend of mine told me that if i cant figer out what is going on or run out of idea's i should buy either a bigger radiator, or get an extra fan and mount it next to the radiator infront of the engine having 2 fans blow at once... i cleaned out my intake, changed the thermistate, flushed the radiator, fixed the fan.... still running HOT... please any suggestions would be a great help.

Neil

I read a few peoples forum posts, lots of pepole talk about raidiator pressure testing... any thoughts?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:54 PM
CivicRacr

check the water pump, how many miles was on that engine?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Flatland2D

Edit: ah, CivicRacr beat me to it,

It's possible the water pump could be bad. That would also be a good time to start your car with a new timing belt. Won't need to do it again for another 100,000 miles.

Radiators in Civics are often on the side and not mounted dead center. The purpose of the fan is to move air through the radiator, not blow on the engine itself.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:59 PM
trestilne

thanks for some tips
Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
trestilne

only 38k miles on the b18 after its been swapped
Old 08-05-2005, 05:42 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

And make sure all bubbles are out of the system.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:05 AM
559sleepwalker

hey u know i got tha same problem on my 95 teg. the weird thing is...i'd b driving for just about tha entire day & everytime i stop @ a red lite, my temp guage would start moving to red. as soon as i start driving, it'll cool off. i know what ur thinking, thermostat rite? well i had the radiator, upper & lower hoses, & thermostat replaced & flushed @ PEPBOYS, & i still have the same problem. & just about every other day, i would have to refill my radiator & reservoir in attempts to keep it from overheating. there's no external leaks & my fans kick on when it's supposed to. everytime i bring it back to tha shop when it starts actin up, they tell that they can't find anything wrong with it as far as mechanical malfunction & external/internal leaks. u guys have any idea what the hells wrong wit my car?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Are you sure it's not the head gasket? Also like two weeks ago it was like 102 degrees outside, at idle my temp would climb to about half, then the fan would kick in and it would drop, and when driving it was fine, but this was because of the heat. My guess would be the pump or head gasket. Are you blowing out white smoke? Or is there kind of a sweet smell to your exhaust fumes?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Dado

Default The crazy thing is

I was having the same problem and it was something as simple as topping off the fluid.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:26 AM
9civic4

First post!

I'm having the same problem 559sleepwalker is having. Let me know what the solution to your problem was. Thanks!