Notices

just got a del sol

Old 09-04-2002, 12:09 PM
okie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got a del sol

okay, I've had it a few months, and was never really into cars at all until I got this one (drove a dodge daytona for 7 years)

been lurking here and there for a bit, and got some questions..

how do I tell what engine I have, and is there a place I can get information/stats on all the engines? I see you guys saying b18, b16, etc.. all I know is it is a 95 Si VTEC. The engine just says 'VTEC' which leads me to believe it is SOHC, correct?

I've been keeping it cleaned and waxxed since I got it (didn't wax my old car at all and it was all sun damaged ), but there are some faded spots on it.. specifically the top of the spoiler, and I don't know what it's called, but the part that goes from the roof of the car to the rear/trunk area.. is fading in these, or any places, normal? Also, can anyone reccommend a good long lasting wax to use?

so far the car runs clean, no noises etc.. it got broken into within the first 2 weeks that I had it! they stole some parts (I don't know which, but they cost around $1600.. thank goodness for insurance ) then a week later the oxygen sensor went out.. but since then, it's been perfect. one thing however, is the rear radio antennae wont come up. I thought it might be a fuse (i'm new at this stuff) but I couldn't find a fuse for it in the manual. is it even supposed to come up? I notice the radio will suddenly sound good/powerful for a bit then go back to it's not-so-great quality.

any advice on learning about cars is welcome (sites/tutorials/etc).. I feel somewhat overwhelmed reading the posts here..

thanks
Old 09-04-2002, 01:03 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

go into your engine bay. To the left of the exhaust manifold, there is a flat spot on the engine block about 1.5X2 inches... On it, it says the engine code. About the antenna, most sols don't have power antennas. Have to pull it up by hand, and it looks like a friggen RC car... For engines, the simple break down is this.
D-sohc
B-dohc
the number is the engine's displacement. So a b18 is dohc 1.8L
Anything after that just deliniates what head it has on it.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:20 PM
vtecsol

welcome to the club ,,try speednation.com the guy mike angus is super cool he wrote honda handbook, a great info source ,also he has a dyno in his garage,met him a few times ... also if you have a question always fell free to ask we will only make fun of you for a little..j/k
Old 09-04-2002, 05:38 PM
s2ksol

Congrats on your purchase.

A good base of info for the del-Sol is www.teamdelsol.com You will find a lot of helpful information from FAQ, HOW TO'S, etc., etc.

What color is your sol? I would suggest trying Meguiars 3 step process: Cleaner, Polish, and wax to help with the fading issues. Here is a link and you can find most of the products at like an automotive store or like Walmart, etc. I suggest Meguiars because it works for me, but there are other products out on the market that can give similar results.
http://www.meguiars.com/product_show...m_template.cfm
Old 09-05-2002, 03:58 AM
okie

awesome, thanks for the info everyone

it is all an all red del sol, 75k miles.. was going to post a picture but I'm sure you guys know what a stock Si looks like
Old 09-05-2002, 08:23 AM
Jago
Team Sol - President

fyi, your Car doesn't have a clearcoat on the paint... only honda metallic colors did at that time so that fading you see is normal for those areas. Someone just didn't keep the car waxed properly. Welcome to the family!
Old 09-05-2002, 10:13 AM
s2ksol

Damn Jago, bet me to it. Honda didn't put a clear coat finish on red del-Sol's until 1996. All other colors have it for all years. Not sure why that happened. You can tell if you don't have a clear coat finish if you wax your car and the color comes off with the applicator. Make sure the products that you use are non-clear coat safe.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:51 AM
Soltaker
I'm a bad, bad man.

Welcome to the family man
Old 09-05-2002, 12:46 PM
skratchnsnift
boom

broken into the first two weeks? ouch! just goes to show how valuable sols are.. heh.. good luck with the research and try not to keep it stock for too long!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 06:30 PM
Neth

hmmm, I'm looking at getting a '93 SI that is black and looks sunfaded... did it have a clearcoat at that time? Also, does it cost more to get it repainted it is the clearcoat peeling and not just fading?

Quick Reply: just got a del sol