Notices

gas gauge + clearing headlight question :)

Old 08-02-2005, 04:41 PM
ekcivic9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas gauge + clearing headlight question :)

hello H-A.net,

i just signed up here, but ive usually just searched around and read posts.

but i have two quick questions i wish to have answered...

1) is my gas gauge totally inaccurate? i got a full tank on sunday, and 90 miles later, its only a little above a quarter tank. i didnt drive it hard either, so i dont know what is wrong. i understand the gauge fluctuates on an incline, but when my car is level it reads at half full. is my honda eating gas? or is the gauge just innacurate most hondas?

2) i understand clearing the headlights requires one to bake their headlights, i was just wondering if it would give off any dangerous fumes? i mean i will probably be baking food out of it sooner or later... i dont wanna die :P would holding a lighter to the glue achieve the same effect?

thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 04:50 PM
amej8

well for the fuel gauge...I'm guessing most fuel gauges become bad after a while. I got 157,000 miles on my 99 civic ex and the fuel gauge is messed up. for me, no matter how much gas I have, the fuel gauge flies up way past full and stays there. when it first started it only stayed for like 5-10 minutes but now it stays for hours sometimes. so if your car has a lot of mileage or you haven't replaced the fuel gauge, I'm assuming it's just from being old. -OR- check for leaks, any fuel/ignition mods that make ur car eat up more gas than it should?, etc

for the headlights, I'm a H-T member and this guy did a D.I.Y. on spray painting the inner housing on his eg headlights. he used the oven but didn't warn of any harmful effects.

to take the lense off: he preheated the oven to 250 degrees and then placed the headlight in there for about 5 minutes... said not to go past 6-7 minutes though. (just to be on the safe side). and do the same to put em back on.

hopefully this helped. g/l!
Old 08-02-2005, 06:43 PM
ekcivic9

amej, thanks for the reply, i am also on HT, but it seems like there is more knowledge and DIY's here

thanks again
Old 08-02-2005, 08:29 PM
cobbcustomz

I didnt notice any harmful fumes. You only leave the light in the oven for a couple minutes to warm it up and during that time it should not be heated enough to cause any harmful fumes