Notices

Oil Cooler and IC

Old 08-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Mr_Goodbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler and IC

Im planning on doing a H22 turbo setup sometime and was wondering if I could have an oil cooler also. I have only seen one DIY and it said to put the oil cooler in front of the radiator but that would probly be in the way of the FMIC. So can the Oil cooler go anywhere else?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 PM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

Just put it where it can get some air flowing through it. Or make a duct to it.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:06 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a DIY on www.hybridgarage.com, but the site seems to be down at the moment.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Mr_Goodbar

Hmm... I like the duct idea and I hear its a pretty good idea to get an oil cooler if you want to keep the turbo for a while. I think I could figure something out by the time I get it; I just wanted to know if it could still be done. Thanks guys.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:26 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's up today, here you go: http://www.hybridgarage.com/tech/oilcooler/index.html
Old 08-02-2005, 06:15 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

ill be the first to say it, sometimes cooler oil isnt always better. when you turbo a car, you should use a full synthetic as it is more difficult to break down. synthetic also lieks to be in a certain heat range for it to lubricate properly. also, if the oil is too cool runing thru the turbo, that could damage it too. i know it sounds odd, but tis true. what i would do if your concerned is just buy some header wrap and wrap up your exhaust components and maybe a little bit on your feed line to prevetn heat soak and you should be fine. i have been runing my car turbod for a couple months now, i freguently check the oil and it is not burnt at all and im just abotu do for it to be changed. just make sure you change your oil regularly and check it periodically and make sure it isnt low or burnt
Old 08-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

It is possible to make the oil "too cool". The biggest problem caused by this is condensation. You need to get your oil at least to water's boiling point somewhere in the engine, or condensation can occur in the crank case and make your internals rust. Keep in mind your thermostat is lower than the boiling point of water. Aside from the coolant keeping your engine cool... because they're all aluminum, Honda engines don't really generate or hold in heat very much anyway. At least not like my DSM does with a cast iron block. I can shut my GSX off after driving 10 minutes to work and it's still above the cold line when I break for lunch 3 1/2 hours later. Hondas cool off in like 15 minutes. You guys envy my heater in the winter.

But if you do find the need for an external oil cooler, NASCAR teams change their car's complete setup for each track, and they don't re-use their oil coolers. Usually the car builders (like Hendrick) donate them to charities and collectors that auction them off on eBay. You can get them really cheap... The model I bought... supposedly from Jeff Gordon's ride was $70 shipped, and it sells for almost $400 new. You probably wouldn't need a big one, or one as large as the one I bought.

Unless you live in a harsh southern climate (I don't know where you live) Raiden's right, you probably wont need it.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Mr_Goodbar

Yea, I love in southern Cal where its been known to be like 80 in the middle of January. I guess I could just set up some nice gauges to keep an eye on it and fix it if it becomes a problem. More shit I might not need to buy.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
abdelsol

I do not completely agree with everyone. I think an oil cooler is a good idea when you turn a stock engine into somthing more, especially a turbo. They generate a lot of heat. It is true that you do not want to have your oil to cool. So add a thermostat. Heat kills and when you feel like tromping on it you have the cooling capacity to do so.

Here is a link of a how to. I like it except for the cooler price (ebay does sell many good ones) and the filter I am using a CM filter. High capacity and fine filtration.
http://www.sportauto.cc/Oil-Cooler/a...ooler_text.htm
Old 08-03-2005, 08:22 AM
qtiger

The other advantage to using a CM canister filter - you don't have to buy the remote filter adapter, just -10 in, -10 out.

I'm currently using a CM canister fuel filter and will hopefully be installing a CM canister oil filter soon... I don't think I'm going to run a cooler though... I'm just sick and tired of the ridiculous stock placement of the oil filter.