Notices

slipping AT transmission!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:32 PM
B16A2_Teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slipping AT transmission!

I'm having transmission issues with my 92 Civic LX Sedan with an automatic tranny. If i drive it regularly then it's fine, but when you try to accelerate (3/4 throttle) or floor the gas then the rpm just climbs. Only happens during a gear change though. For example, if i floor it from a stop sign then the car will go untill it tries the change into 2nd gear. That's when the gear doesn't engage and the rpm's just climb unless I ease off the gas pedal.The manual said to check for low fluid but I've already done that and the fluid is within specs. Torque conveter has been changed already and so has the fluid. Anyone ever delt with this kind of thing on an automatic transmission before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

NO mods on the car..100% stock!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:49 PM
delsol161

try adding some "transmission fix" fluid from autozone or advance auto. lots of automatic trannys do that after a long time. i'm not sure what causes it. but sometimes some tranny fix can help a lil.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:23 PM
B16A2_Teg

ok. I'll check into that.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:15 AM
hp0786

I have the same problem in my auto Civic EX 2000. the rpms stay steady and keep going higher. i have to press the accelerator faster to get it to go into the next gear. otherwise constant acceleration just keeps the rpms from 3k to 4.5k and then around 5k the gear changes. It feels like the car is asking for the gear but like in manual transmission you are not giving it on purpose for the extra rpms.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:13 PM
lowbrow
12:00AM Atlanta time...

Well that is kind of an internal problem, and is caused by not lifting your foot when the car is changing gears. It is hard on your transmission to just keep it to the floor even during gear shifts. When razzing on your engine, you will probably have to lift off the gas when it shifts to avoid slipping it. Transmission fix will help a small amount, but probably won't fix the whole problem.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:09 PM
VPUPPY

Originally Posted by lowbrow
Well that is kind of an internal problem, and is caused by not lifting your foot when the car is changing gears. It is hard on your transmission to just keep it to the floor even during gear shifts. When razzing on your engine, you will probably have to lift off the gas when it shifts to avoid slipping it. Transmission fix will help a small amount, but probably won't fix the whole problem.
there is not real way of predicting a shift and then letting off the gas before the shift. the A/T will not shift when you let off the gas!!

it seems to be an internal problem. you could test your shift control solenoids for proper operation otherwise its internal. as for the tranny additive, i would advice against that. Honda transmissions are very sensitive to adding anything other than Honda ATF. the additive may cause more problems like foaming(bad for Honda A/T). make sure your running Honda ATF also.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:19 AM
lowbrow
12:00AM Atlanta time...

He talked about holding the pedal to the floor, or 3/4 of the way to it. When doing that, you can get your car to shift when you want by letting off the pedal. That will avoid slippage. Good luck with your problem, I hope it is not internal.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:54 PM
B16A2_Teg

Originally Posted by lowbrow
Good luck with your problem, I hope it is not internal.
I hope it's nothing internal..But i guess i'll just start looking for a new tranny.