Notices

gapping NGK plugs

Old 07-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Joshcivic00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gapping NGK plugs

what do i need to gap the NGK bkr7e's to on a 2000 civic ex???
Old 07-28-2005, 10:44 AM
lkailburn
college kid

depends on the rest of your setup. are you boosted btw?

i gapped mine to .029
Old 07-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Joshcivic00

ill be running 5-7lbs of boost on a greddy kit!
Old 07-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i've done some in-depth research on NGK spark plugs before & from my research i've gathered this information. This may or may not be perfectly true but from actually NGK dealers & their sales reps.. the information came to all the same conclusions.

NGK spark plugs are generaly produced at specific heat ranges. This means that you aren't able to adjust the heat range of the spark plug in the same way that you are able to adjust the heat range of other spark plugs (changing gap).

This does not mean that the temp of the plug will not varry upon the change of the gap, but it does mean that it will not change to the extreame of most spark plugs.

This is the reason that NGK offers so much of a variety of different temperature rated & heat ranged spark plugs. Although most autoparts stores don't stock the many different heat ranges of plugs that NGK produces, they are able to order them & have them in within 1-2 business days.

Hope this info helps u guys out a lil bit.

tony
Old 07-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Running925
i've done some in-depth research on NGK spark plugs before & from my research i've gathered this information. This may or may not be perfectly true but from actually NGK dealers & their sales reps.. the information came to all the same conclusions.

NGK spark plugs are generaly produced at specific heat ranges. This means that you aren't able to adjust the heat range of the spark plug in the same way that you are able to adjust the heat range of other spark plugs (changing gap).

This does not mean that the temp of the plug will not varry upon the change of the gap, but it does mean that it will not change to the extreame of most spark plugs.

This is the reason that NGK offers so much of a variety of different temperature rated & heat ranged spark plugs. Although most autoparts stores don't stock the many different heat ranges of plugs that NGK produces, they are able to order them & have them in within 1-2 business days.

Hope this info helps u guys out a lil bit.

tony
I am kind of confused on how closing or opening the spark plug gap has anything to do with the heat range. The heat range is determined by how long the center ceramic insulator is, not how the plug is gapped, as that is how heat is carried out of the combustion chamber.

The only reason to gap the plug any different than stock would be if you had issues with the spark crossing the gap under high boost and didn't feel like upgrading your ignition system.

If you could explain to me how closing the gap helps with heat dissipation, I would probably understand, but right now, I just can't picture the physics.