Notices

Question about CV axles on a Honda Civic

Old 07-22-2005, 08:19 AM
the101corridor
Insert Clever Slogan Here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about CV axles on a Honda Civic

I just replaced both front CV axles on my '96 Civic sedan the other day and I noticed on my commute yesterday that on some corners of the road I drive, the car starts to vibrate. It will occasionally do the same moving from the fast to slow lane (or vise-versa). What is strange is the fact that this does not occur all the time, just on certain stretches of the road and this is what has me puzzled. I know its not the road itself because I have been doing the commute for over a year now.

Is it recommended to get a front end alignment after having the axles replaced? Or is the vibration just part of a "breaking in" period for new CV axles?

Just curious.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:00 AM
eonsx311
today is not my birthday.

hmmm, no allignment needed unless the dude did somthing he shouldnt have. did you replace them?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

difference in type of pavment meeting up with your tires & how much tire pressure that u are running! :dunno:
Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 AM
the101corridor

Originally Posted by eonsx311
hmmm, no allignment needed unless the dude did somthing he shouldnt have. did you replace them?
Nah, I'm retarded when it comes to do any serious work on my car. Instead, I took it to one of the best automotive repair shops in my town. I've known and had work done by these people for about ten years now and I trust their work.

I didn't think it was an alignment issue either, since I can still let go of the steering wheel and my car drives as straight as an arrow and there is no shimmy. Its just certain occasions where a corner or lane change will cause the car to vibrate.

I may have my tires checked though anyway.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 07-22-2005, 04:35 PM
foot

Probably junk axles.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:48 PM
the101corridor

I took my car back to the mechanic after work today and one of his notions was that one of the axles may be bad... which he said has never happened to him before, but there was a first time for everything.

My Civic's had a rough year.