Notices

97 Civic Aftermarket radio tie ins.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:20 AM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic Aftermarket radio tie ins.

Does anyone know of this problem occurring in 1997 Civics? If so, are there methods to solving this problem???

"Trouble Spots Consumer Guide(R) Vehicle History Report
Check for these possible problems when test-driving and inspecting this vehicle.

Audio system: Installing an aftermarket radio can result in loss of dome lights and keyless entry. Those two systems are tied into the Honda radio. (1997)"
Old 07-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Yes, this is common on the 96 as well. The factory radio has the keyless entry unit enclosed. Without the factory radio, you will lose the keyless entry unit and the dome light when you open the door. If you don't have keyless entry, the factory radio can be removed with no problem. To fix the dome light problem, you can buy a jumper connector that will fix this, or else if you want the dome light to come on, you will have to manually turn it on and off.
If you have keyless entry now and want to keep it, you will have to bury the factory radio in the dash. Right behind the power plug, below the heater controls, works the best.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:33 AM
saxqtzk

Originally Posted by Hondaman
Yes, this is common on the 96 as well. The factory radio has the keyless entry unit enclosed. Without the factory radio, you will lose the keyless entry unit and the dome light when you open the door. If you don't have keyless entry, the factory radio can be removed with no problem. To fix the dome light problem, you can buy a jumper connector that will fix this, or else if you want the dome light to come on, you will have to manually turn it on and off.
If you have keyless entry now and want to keep it, you will have to bury the factory radio in the dash. Right behind the power plug, below the heater controls, works the best.
It's common with 1996-1998 models.

If you do take the radio out you can easily crimp two wires to resolve the dome light issue.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally Posted by saxqtzk
It's common with 1996-1998 models.

If you do take the radio out you can easily crimp two wires to resolve the dome light issue.
I thought the 98s were included as well, but I couldn't remember. :thumbup:

I suggested the jumper plug just because I'm not one to recommend cutting into the factory harness of any vehicle. I've heard one too many stories about this. In fact, that's how I got Best Buy to buy me a new alternator. They messed up my factory harness, shorted the alternator, and I had to take it to Honda to reverse their screw up. Total bill---> $843
Old 07-18-2005, 09:02 AM
saxqtzk

Originally Posted by Hondaman
I thought the 98s were included as well, but I couldn't remember. :thumbup:

I suggested the jumper plug just because I'm not one to recommend cutting into the factory harness of any vehicle. I've heard one too many stories about this. In fact, that's how I got Best Buy to buy me a new alternator. They messed up my factory harness, shorted the alternator, and I had to take it to Honda to reverse their screw up. Total bill---> $843
True! I wouldn't suggest it if you're worried about shorting something out or even ruining your harnesses.

In fact I wouldn't suggest you crimp, always solder your connections.

But, it is very simple. It's just two wires on the same harness that can be solder together.

It can be done with DIY or you can buy the harness as suggested by hondaman... either way you have more than one option