Notices

Trade a D16 for a B16?

Old 06-27-2005, 05:49 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade a D16 for a B16?

I dont usually ask for opinions on here mainly because opinions are like ass holes... everyone has one and they usually stink. But this is one of those rare occasion's that i am stumped and really need advice.

I have a 99 civic ex coupe with 92000 miles on it DC sports Intake, DC Headers and DC axle back exhust. Power everything, keyless entry and sunroof. I Barely bumped my g/f a little while on the interstate and it messed up my hood and fenders(very easy to fix) AC still works but this is the 4th time the car has been wrecked(never wrecked very bad just minor fender benders, but they still show up on car fax).

Well i met this guy over the weekend who had a 99 SI and totaled it. He then took all of his SI parts and as much as he could converted a 99 dx coupe with all the parts that he could possibly put on the dx from the si. So he has a DX with si gauge cluster and interior (excluding the power windows and locks) B16A out of the SI the engine and cluster have 95000 miles on them and the body is extreamly strait never been wrecked.

The problem is that his civic runs but it has one of two things wrong... either a blown head gasket or a cracked head. He wants to strait trade me for my basicly stock ex. I have a B16 head but it needs new valve guide seals, which to completely fix the head is going to cost me $200. Is it a good trade to basicly get a dx with an engine and interior swap for a barely wrecked ex?
I drove the car it still runs but it misfires like a bitch when you get past 4500.

What would you all do? I loose all my power options but gain a lot of power under the hood(if i use my head). I just dont want to get stuck with somthing im going to have to be fixing all the time.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:41 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i try to steer clear of cars that have been thoroughly rummaged through by other people (especially non-professionals).

I also learned when buying my b16a that unless you get to strip down and inspect a motor and figure out EXACTLY what is wrong with it, or if you're alright (financially and mechanically) with doing a full rebuild, its not worth it to buy a motor in less than perfect shape.

Personally, I'd steer clear... thats just my asshole. ....er, um, opinion.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with white's asshole.