Notices

OBD II /Systems not ready

Old 06-19-2005, 05:40 PM
DOHC-VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD II /Systems not ready

Just bought a used 97 civic EX from my cousin, the car is stock with the excpetion of an APEXi catback. No CEL but when I hooked up to the state inspection computer, it showed 3 systems were not ready, as a result it failed emission test. The systems that are not ready are Evaporative system, O2 sensor and Catalytic converter. The car has 107,000 miles and none of the emission systems was ever replaced. What could be wrong? The car runs good except MPG isn't that great. What should I do to pass the state emission. Some guys told me that I have to drive the car certain way to get these systems kicked in. THe car has sat in a parking lot for 3 months, with periodically start up and ran around the parking lot. I had also changed the battery prior to inspection.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:14 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

you might have to get a new car and o2 sensor
Old 06-19-2005, 09:52 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

before you went to inspection, did you start the car and let it run for a while before bringing it there?

was the car at operating temperature during the inspection?

seems like the 02 sensor needs fixing. you have 2, one is in the catylitic convertor that might be triggering the latter 2 CELs.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:22 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the battery replaced or disconnected recently it will take sometimes up 150 miles usally less for those systems to do their self check I would say drive it intown diffrent speeds and on the freeway. if your in cali. you are alowed 2 incomplete or not readys to pass inspection