Notices

confused: garrett turbos

Old 05-31-2005, 05:40 PM
SICK BOY
gsr-t hatch in progress!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused: garrett turbos

well ive been researching a lot lately and i came across turbobygarrett.com . i know alot of you guys are running garrett turbochargers, but theres a crap load of different turbos on their page and im not quite sure what kind are best for b16's. i dont have a b16, but plan on doing a swap when i find a good deal on a motor. i know the t3/t4 turbos are a popular choice, but there are different sizes and stuff and im not quite sure what would best fit a b16. take in mind that i dont plan on doing any internal work, so im not looking for HUGE power gains. i just want something that i can boost at about 6-10 psi and will be fairly reliable. the web site with all the different turbos and part numbers is **LINK***

i was also wondering about uberdata, i know it free and everything, but i lack experience in that kinda stuff and am way confuzed by it. ive been reading up on it and im not quite sure if i should attempt at using it. is there anybody that programs it. like could i send my ecu to someone and have them program it in and just pay them for it. hondata looks pretty $$$$$, and i havent heard too many good things about e manage and other fmu's.

any advice is greatly appreciated

-adam
Old 05-31-2005, 05:53 PM
MPerson

If you're looking for something to boost at around 6-8psi, don't go with a t3/t4 garret, they're too large, they will have too much lag, and produce big numbers after 4-5k rpm's. I'd go with a .42 or .48, looks around for some junkyard turbos with low miles and no wear. A 14b might be a good choice too. I'd just stay away from larger turbo's since you only want small boost.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

super 60 t3, or just a 60 trim t3. a .42/.48 is fairly small, full boost around 3k and could fall on its face. i wouldnt go dsm, cant upgrade very easily because then your using that oddball flange.
turbocalculator.com has nice turbos, or you can always do the math and figure out your compressor map like i did
Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

super 60 t3, or just a 60 trim t3. a .42/.48 is fairly small, full boost around 3k and could fall on its face. i wouldnt go dsm, cant upgrade very easily because then your using that oddball flange.
turbocalculator.com has nice turbos, or you can always do the math and figure out your compressor map like i did
Old 05-31-2005, 06:19 PM
SICK BOY
gsr-t hatch in progress!

well i can get garrett products for super cheap, so im gonna get as much as i can to complete a turbo kit through them. are any of those turbos similar to a 14b? how much boost should you run with a t3/t4?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 PM
SICK BOY
gsr-t hatch in progress!

are you referring to compressor or turbine trim and a/r
Old 06-01-2005, 11:01 AM
SICK BOY
gsr-t hatch in progress!

no one??
Old 06-01-2005, 11:42 AM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best turbo for us:
GT28RS
Period. End of discussion.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by SICK BOY
i was also wondering about uberdata, i know it free and everything, but i lack experience in that kinda stuff and am way confuzed by it. ive been reading up on it and im not quite sure if i should attempt at using it. is there anybody that programs it. like could i send my ecu to someone and have them program it in and just pay them for it. hondata looks pretty $$$$$, and i havent heard too many good things about e manage and other fmu's.
Uberdata is more of a DIY, but if you trust your soldering abilities and won't get upset if you distroy the ECU, you can go ahead and try it yourself. There are places that will chip it for you. It isn't free but it will cost much less than Hondata.

For me, I had to buy the OBD1 ecu ($160), conversion harness ($60), chip kit ($15), and the chip burner ($85), so it is very far from cheap but I would still need to purchase the ECU and harness for Hondata.

You might want to have someone chip it for you like I said, but you need to have the chip tuned for your setup on a dyno. They can burn you a basemap to get you to the dyno, but it isn't a good idea to be driving with it more than that. There are shops out there that will tune it. Call around and see.

My best suggestion is to find a reputable shop to tune your car post-turbo and go for what they are most comfortable with.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:49 PM
SICK BOY
gsr-t hatch in progress!

so the "disco potato" is my best bet lol. it says that the flange is a t25, is that the same as t3/t4 flange or would i have to find a t25 manifold, because i cant find much