Notices

Car Smokes AGAIN! :MadAsHell:

Old 05-23-2005, 05:59 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Smokes AGAIN! :MadAsHell:

hey guys, if you remember, last month i had a brand new turbo go bad on me & it was allowing oil to get into the charge pipes & it was making a nasty black smoke that smelled like oil.. i'm not talkin just a little smoke from normal exhaust.. i'm talkin shit loads of smoke that could cause me not to be able to see the people next to me while i'm at a red light.. it's Horrible!

Anyways, i've since replaced the 1 month old turbo with a brand new one from Turbonetics. Here we are 3 weeks later & the car is doing it again! WTF is going on. I don't understand why my car is smoking AGAIN!

someone please help me solve this mystery before i go nuts.. i can't afford to keep buying a new turbo every 3 weeks!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

I'm sure you did, but did you check your compression to see if this turbo is good, but something else is causing it? Rings or valve seals?
Old 05-23-2005, 06:09 AM
pomansouth

you cant tell me that if it was BRAND NEW, that they dont warrenty it. send it back and get a new one.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by pomansouth
you cant tell me that if it was BRAND NEW, that they dont warrenty it. send it back and get a new one.
i called. they said they were sorry but were unable to replace it because they don't know what type of heat that it has experienced & i could have abused it!

my reaction.. (wanting to kill someone)

Originally Posted by Illegal B16
I'm sure you did, but did you check your compression to see if this turbo is good, but something else is causing it? Rings or valve seals?
compression was checked last night.. motor is sound.. it's definatly turbo related.. & driving me nuts!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:28 AM
eonsx311
today is not my birthday.

thats a tough prediciment. have you taken the turbo off and inspected it yet? as to what could cause that, i have no idea. all i can say is that my friend had a toyota mr2 and on the first rip on the highway through all gears the turbo did the SAME EXACT thing. it ended up being his blow off valve not releasing all that pressure and smoking the turbo bearings. but that dosnt sound like your problem. anyhow, good luck.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by eonsx311
thats a tough prediciment. have you taken the turbo off and inspected it yet? as to what could cause that, i have no idea. all i can say is that my friend had a toyota mr2 and on the first rip on the highway through all gears the turbo did the SAME EXACT thing. it ended up being his blow off valve not releasing all that pressure and smoking the turbo bearings. but that dosnt sound like your problem. anyhow, good luck.
thanks for your input, my blow off valve is definatly working well & when i checked the turbo for any shaft play or end play, i did not find any. and the turbine still spins smooth like new,telling me that bearing are still in good condition.

anyone else have some info to toss at me?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:54 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what oil pressure are you pushing to the turbo?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
what oil pressure are you pushing to the turbo?
now that i'm not sure of because i don't have a oil pressure sending unit to put on that line to find out. What i do know is that i've tested that line to make sure that is pits oil out when the engine is running & it definatly pours out of there like crazy.

I suppose i should buy the sending unit for the gauge that i already have & attach it to that line so thati can canser that question.

It's definatly getting oil fed to it tho.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:08 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a mechanical autometer oil gauge if you want it. PM me for price.

I'd consider looking into that because it is possible to be putting too much oil pressure into a turbo. Some people use a restrictor valve to bring that pressure down. Something to consider.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
I'd consider looking into that because it is possible to be putting too much oil pressure into a turbo. Some people use a restrictor valve to bring that pressure down. Something to consider.
My feed line is 1/8 NPT fitting so if u think about it.. i really can't push all that much volume through there. & i'm running a stock oil pump, with my oil line comming right off of my sensor area like normal. My return line is more than double the size of the feed so i doubt that it's getting cloged up in there. :dunno: i'll check the feed & return tonight anyways tho...