Notices

Maintenance on a 140k D16Z6?

Old 05-16-2005, 03:27 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance on a 140k D16Z6?

I just got a used 93 D16Z6 for free, it runs perfect, but its the same size motor I have in my 94 EX..... Thats ok. What I want to do is do a general rebuild on it, and I would like to know what parts should be replaced after 140k?

I was thinking of replacing the following gaskets:

Exhaust, intake, valve cover

And I was also thinking of replacing:

Timing belt
Water pump
Alternator belt
Ground straps
Re- Wrap all of the wireing with new wire cover

And for now I cant seem to think of any other things that I might want to replace.

As for the fluids, the oil will be replaced, and the motor had a coolant flush a few thousand miles ago. I was thinking of just runing some seafoam through the entire motor to clean out any deposits that may be collecting.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:18 PM
96gsintegra

what are u plannin on doin with it? id sell that bitch after fixin it up a lil bit. but thats me h:
Old 05-16-2005, 06:58 PM
doughboy_88

i agree. make sure it's in good running condition; if it is, sell it to get some extra $!
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Ok.... It runs perfect. I want to know what I need to replace so it will run for another 100k without any problems.

I am prob going to sell it, or get the head ported, and put a cam in it and swap it in my car after I build it to be more durable.

So my question still stands. What maintenance/replacement of parts would you all recomend?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:09 PM
jdmeg6hatchy
i

if you can, buy a rebuild kit, these usually come with all the gaskets etc. but if you dont want to do that i'd get new pistons, rings, spark plugs, wires, maybe even valve springs. but in the end you could sell it and make more that it would be worth to keep it. you could get like $100-$250 for the head alone
Old 05-21-2005, 04:26 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Why sell it when I got it for free, and dont need the $?

I would rather slowly rebuild it, and then figure out what I want to do from there...

Around here, a used D16Z6 can go for as much as 2000, if you look for a head at a yard, you are going to pay close to 500.

They are not that common around here anymore. Alot of people want them, and I had a guy offer to trade me a race'd nitros'd B18 LS for my D16 in my car. But it turns out the B was pused very hard and used oil.

I am going to keep the motor.

So far I have done the following:
NGK Plugs
Rotor
removed the internal coil
MSD Blaster II coil
MSD powercap
Accel Thendersport 8.5mm wires
Painted the valve cover gloss black with high temp paint
Cleaned up the block, tranny, brackets, head, and oil pan with some simple green and aircraft grade aluminum cleaner.
re-wraped all of the wires for the motor.
replaced all of the belts.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:00 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Question, I had the timing belt cover off, and the motor running, and I noticed the belt is not very tight, and wobbles if I open up the TB really quick... It almost looks like it might hit the lower plastic timing cover. I grabed it and wiggled it back and fourth, and it does not seem very tight, I can also move it side to side on the cam gear.... I dont know how tight SOHC belts are suposed to be, but on my H23, the timing belt was really tight, should I replace the belt and the tensioner?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:25 AM
descivic

2000????? wHAT THE HELL I can pick up a d16 where i live for 300, your gettin jacked dude, thats highway robbery,
Old 06-20-2005, 04:48 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Umm, ok... Where I live, there are not many honda motors, so the yards that do have them charge alot, they are not very common around here. A used B16 sells for 3000, and a B18 LS sells for about 2500.