Notices

reducing NVH (noise), and bushings

Old 04-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Jason C SBB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reducing NVH (noise), and bushings

I want to make my 105k mile '97 Civic HX quieter. It has a bone stock drivetrain and fairly quiet tires.

1) Which bushings are probably tired and would make the car smoother if replaced? NO I don't want polys. I already have polys for one location in the fronts and that's as far as I'll go.
2) How about engine supports?
3) Is there a hoodliner from an Accord or other car I could get from a junkyard that's easy to adapt?
4) Which panels can I put sound deadeners to make the car quieter? Firewall? Wheel wells?
5) Do I use brush-on stuff like QuietCar
http://www.quietcoat.com/
or just put carpet underlay?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:12 PM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

I have read that the new hybrid accords have active noise suppression systems. There is a microphone that samples the noise and phase shifts it 180 degrees and amplifies it to cancle the noise. I'm not sure that "active noise suppression" is even the right word but they do have this kind of setup. If you see how it's setup in the accords i'm sure you'd find a non-honda noise suppression system that's cheaper. They've been around for along time. They may even be used on airlines.

The 1st generation Odyssey's have a hood damper for engine noise suppression. The F22b6 engine is noisey.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

a fool proof way to quiet down the interior is to dynomat the entire cabin.
minimally at least cover the fire wall, exhaust hump and doors.

the active noise suppression system would work too, but not for everything. And it's not cheap either.