Notices

Couple more minor electrical problems

Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple more minor electrical problems

Well i was driving my car this weekend & i still can't use my gauges, i finally have all the interior & everything back together & stuff which i will post pix of very soon. but my problem is that the gauge cluster isn't working. Granted i kno that the tach & the spedo arn't working yet coz i'm lacking my much needed VSS that should be in the mail to me today! (LEE!!).. anyways, my fuel gauge & temp gauge arn't working, i kno that fuse 15 is good & i ran through WCS's sticky in the forum & found the test stuff, but i wanted to see if anyone had a quick bit of info for me to check b4 i get into tearin stuff apart.

Relic.. ? or anyone else out there??

thanks a bunch for any info givin on this subject & i'll have my full write up of my car & the long process that i went through posted very soon here!

Tony
Old 03-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

bump
Old 03-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Running925
bump
mite want to add your Tach to non functioning along with the rest. Your tach has nothing to do with the VSS it gets its signal from the coil pimpin. Earliest I can ship is Wed. cause I am gonna ship it with the muffler and thats the earliest I can get the muffler off :goodjob:
Old 03-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

well first make sure that the black wire at the cluster is actually ground.
make sure there is 12 volts on the yellow wire at the cluster. yah the fuse is there, but if the wires carrying the power isn't...

b16aEGcivic is right, the tach has nothing to do with the VSS, it gets signal from the ignitor unit in the distributor.

If the power is missing nothing will work in the cluster other than the high beam indicator and the turn signals.
if the ground is gone nothing will work except the trunk/hatch light, the check engine light, seat belt light, e-brake light and the low oil pressure light.

if absolutely nothing works, then make sure the plugs are plugged in all the way. there are three of them to plug in, two gray(power/ground/signals) and one yellow(airbag).

if everything checks out there, it's time to try a different cluster.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i kno the cluster used to work just fine before i tore everything apart. It has more plugs than you have mention ed Relic. It's got the 2 gray ones, a yellow one for airbags & a green one which i'm guessing was for the automatic tranny that used to be in the car.

Is there a posibility that this cluster won't work with my swap due to teh fact that it was for an auto? i don't see why the 2 main plugs would be different but nothing is working on the cluster except the lights & turn signals & stuff.. no gauge action!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:37 AM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

you are right, the green plug is just for the auto lights and crap. Leave it unplugged and you'll be fine. I used my car to check an auto trans cluster and it worked fine.

BTW, DO NOT use http://patriot.net/~merritt/gauge.html as indication of what wires do what on a 92-95 civic cluster. I've found four wires that are wrong on there all ready and I've only checked six. (pulled that link for the sticky)
Old 03-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by Relic1
you are right, the green plug is just for the auto lights and crap. Leave it unplugged and you'll be fine. I used my car to check an auto trans cluster and it worked fine.

BTW, DO NOT use http://patriot.net/~merritt/gauge.html as indication of what wires do what on a 92-95 civic cluster. I've found four wires that are wrong on there all ready and I've only checked six. (pulled that link for the sticky)

thanks for the tips.. i'll be checkin that out tonight! Hopfully it's just somethin stupid like a ground that will be a simple fix.. i could really use my gauges while attempting to break in my motor!! haha
Old 03-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

more info

yes = works
no = doesn't work

Background lights = yes
high beem light = yes
srs = unpluged
turn signals = yes
tac = no
spedo = lacking vss
fuel gauge = no
temp = no
e-brake light = no

fuses = good

strange odd ball ground wire extending from harness behind cluster = grounded to metal bar

i haven't had a chance to test the power wires or what not that are in the plugs them selves yet..

any more suggestions or info on this ????? please!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

I'd be checking that black(ground) wire big time man.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by Relic1
I'd be checking that black(ground) wire big time man.

I'll check it again after work tomarrow, but it's in it's stock position, the metal frame lookin bar that looks to be the main dash support, not sure what exactly to call it, but it's a serious metal structure that sits behind the dash board. If you've ever had your dash out i'm sure u've seen it. but the black ground wire plugs right into a special prong thing that sticks off of it.. i'll make sure it's a grounded tomarrow.. this is extreamly frustrating because i'm in the process of breaking in my fresh motor & i keep accidently hitting the rev limiter.. i kno this has to be horrible on it too! The boost just rev's out each gear so quickly that the tone of the motor isn't enough coz i'm not used to it yet.