Notices

obd I ecu with obd II motor

Old 03-13-2005, 11:19 AM
erindj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd I ecu with obd II motor

I have a 93 civic hatch with a 97 integra ls motor. The engine runs choppy and guzzles a lot of gas. I think it might have something to do with the fact that the engine and ecu don't match up, but I don't know what to do to fix the problem. Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2005, 06:39 PM
alllooksnnogo
Just another import lover

What ECU?? Was the ECU programmed properly?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

we need to know a lot more man.
Which ECU are you talking about?
was it chipped? chipped correctly? with which program?
has it always done this since the swap?

if you're looking for a yes it could be that, then yep it could very well be that. It could also be about a hundred other things.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:04 PM
erindj

The ecu is the stock obd1 ecu
Old 03-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Civic2Scooby

and you are running obd2 dizzy, injectors, etc? cause if you are, I dunno how you even got it to start.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:13 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

the stock for the civic?! no, cant be. uhh, do u have any codes? i would recommend buying an obd2-> obd1 harness. the problem could be that the motor isnt reading the other o2 sensor or somthing like that and its running in limp mode so your super rich. i dont like obd2 so i would recommend that you switch to obd 1. if you do, u can do a couple of things. you can use the stock integra ecu from an obd 1 car. you could have your ecu chipped with uberdata then burn a basemap with the factory maps, or you could leave it obd2 and be gay( j/k) and push through until you fix the problem
Old 03-14-2005, 02:50 PM
erindj

how about changing the engine harness to a pre 1996 b18 block harness so that is's made for an obd1 ecu?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

ok, WAIT a freaking minute.... an OBD1 ECU can run an OBD2 engine/distributor/injectors/etc in an OBD1 shell just fine. As long as you use the OBD2 engine harness and OBD1 car harness. Heck it's almost plug and play. If you'd like proof I can take all the pictures of my car all you want. And a few of the others I've helped do it.
The only differences are the connectors, the sensors and signals are identical.

now that being said...
Using the stock unchipped ECU (CX? DX? SI?) will not be the right fuel or ignition maps for the LS. Also if it's the CX ECU it will be looking for a single wire O2, if they wired up a four wire to it the O2 will always read incorrectly because it's made to have the heater warming it up not just the exhaust gasses.

We need to know a few things to help you man...
Which version of ECU do you have? CX?(P05) DX?(P06) SI?(P28)
Was the ECU chipped to run the LS? You can't tell from the outside, ask the person that did the swap for you.
is you're check engine light on? To expand on this, make sure it turns on then off when you first turn the ignition on, if it doesn't then the place that did your swap removed the light to avoid you seeing there is a problem. I've seen that MANY times.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Relic1
ok, WAIT a freaking minute.... an OBD1 ECU can run an OBD2 engine/distributor/injectors/etc in an OBD1 shell just fine. As long as you use the OBD2 engine harness and OBD1 car harness. Heck it's almost plug and play. If you'd like proof I can take all the pictures of my car all you want. And a few of the others I've helped do it.
The only differences are the connectors, the sensors and signals are identical.

now that being said...
Using the stock unchipped ECU (CX? DX? SI?) will not be the right fuel or ignition maps for the LS. Also if it's the CX ECU it will be looking for a single wire O2, if they wired up a four wire to it the O2 will always read incorrectly because it's made to have the heater warming it up not just the exhaust gasses.

We need to know a few things to help you man...
Which version of ECU do you have? CX?(P05) DX?(P06) SI?(P28)
Was the ECU chipped to run the LS? You can't tell from the outside, ask the person that did the swap for you.
is you're check engine light on? To expand on this, make sure it turns on then off when you first turn the ignition on, if it doesn't then the place that did your swap removed the light to avoid you seeing there is a problem. I've seen that MANY times.
if you are using the obd2 harness in the obd1 shell you need the obd2->0bd1 conversion harness or repin the plug for it to work with an obd1 LS ecu.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

OK now I see the terminology problem...

engine harness - from the engine sensors to the shock towers
ECU harness - from the shock towers to the ECU

96-98 civics have one peice harnesses and can not do this.

if you're using the OBD2 ENGINE harness with the OBD1 ECU harness it works perfectly with literally a max of 6 wires moved. This is what I did and what I've helped 3 people do in person and at least 8 do over the internet. It works perfectly, I’ve been driving mine for 2+ years with no problems at all.

replacing the entire harness from the engine to the ECU would need the adapter and would make a lot of work that is unnecessary.