Notices

95 HONDA CIVIC LX ?'s

Old 03-11-2005, 07:57 PM
95civiclx
HMT b7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 HONDA CIVIC LX ?'s

Hello. I have a few questions regarding my recently purchased Honda Civic. It is a 1995 4 door LX 5 Speed with 140400 miles. I was wondering...

How do you take off an exterior door handle?

What are some signs that its time to replace the clutch? (i still have the original clutch)

How do you install keyless entry / remote trunk release?

Does this model have a fuel low warning light?

What are some factors that will contribute to poor gas mileage?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:14 AM
m735is

1. You need to take off the interior panel, then there's a nut or two holding the handle on. Why are you taking it off?

2. Slipping clutch or chatter. My original went longer than 140,000. Cheap and not too diffacult to replace.

3. Follow the instructions that come with it. Wiring diagrams can be found on a lot of the keyless' sites. Trunk is cable popped, this would require some sort of actuator I would think.

4. My 92 does not, 95 may not.

5. How you drive the car is one way. Plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, overall tune of the motor. What's bad mileage?
I use a Haynes manual- it's been fine for everything I've done to mine (just about everything).
Old 03-12-2005, 05:23 AM
Jimax

No low fuel light. Must be an EX thing. <sigh>

Poor mileage like m735is said, a lot of it depends on driving style, health of the engine, terrain, and I've found...quality of gas. Do the basic things like giving your engine a tune up. If for nothing else, baselining when those things get replaced so you'll know for next time when they need replacing again. I bought my 95 with 130K miles on it and changed out the following: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, oil+filter, brake fluid, and antifreeze. I also bought the engine cleaning stuff from Auto Zone and cleaned the heck out of my engine. This way I can tell if I develop an oil leak or not.

I literally lose about 7 to 10 miles per gallon if I use generic gas in my car. I average 38MPG. On my worst tank (7-11/Citgo gas), I got 28. If I stick to 87 octane name-brand gas, I do better.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:28 AM
95civiclx
HMT b7

Default exterior handle and gas mileage

Thanks. I was thinking about taking off the rear passenger side handle because when you open the door, the handle stays angled out. I dont know if it just needs to be lubricated, or if i need a new handle.

As far as gas mileage, when i first bought the car there was a roof rack locked on the car. I finally got the locks picked, and the rack taken off. I was getting about 25 miles to the gallon with the rack (which i consider bad, because edmunds.com says you can get at least 34 mpg city). Once i took the rack off, i was getting about 30, and i just changed the spark plugs, which were in pretty rough shape, and i think i am about as high as i am going to get. I dont really drive on the highway too much, and i also do deliveries sometimes, so my car is idling alot. Also, because there is no gas light, i was afraid to let it get too close to empty. Once it was on Empty, and i filled up, and it only let me put 8.5 gallons in. So there was at least 3 gallons left on empty.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:11 PM
m735is

Just lube up the handle. I use PB Blaster to loosen the rusty stuff, then lube the hell out it with grease. Make sure you work the handle quite a few times before putting the panel back on.