Notices

Springs, or wheels first?

Old 03-04-2005, 08:25 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs, or wheels first?

http://www.coximport.com/store/EI4-1740

I need some help on what to do first? I have about 300$ to spend, and I can either put tires on my 16" TSW's and put them on my car. Or leave the steeliez which have new all season tires on them on my car, and buy these eibach springs?

I am thinking of going with the springs first, but, I also want to save up and get some adjustable shocks to go with them. So I wouldnt install the springs untill I got the shocks, which will be a while, so this is my problem.

Should I put some Kumho's on my freshly powdercoated wheels?
Or buy the springs, and save more $ for the shocks?

Oh yea, if I got new springs, and shocks, wouldnt I need a camber kit as well? How much would that run me and where can I get a kit for cheap?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Civic2Scooby

you dont need a camber kit with the eibach pro-kit or sport lines. I would do shocks and springs first and rims/tires later. Also what kind of kumhos are you trying to run. I have th 712s on my buddy clubs and I like them for everyday driving with a bit of fun into them once in a while. If you plan on tracking or auto xing heavily I would prob avoid them.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

If you want the Sport Lines, get them from www.tirerack.com. They are about $40 cheaper then the place you have listed.

You probably would need a camber kit for that drop. You can try the "washer trick" (do a search) too. The camber kits run between $250 and $350 to do the entire car.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:26 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Hmm, ok, so will I need a camber kit or not? I am thinking I will since it is quite a drop.... Also, keep in mind, I prob wont get the springs untill I save enough money for the shocks as well. Anyone recomed a good adjustable shock that wont take up my entire paycheck? I can spend aprox 400 on them.

Also I wanted to know if this is a good idea:
If I were to get adjustable shocks, would it be a "decent" idea (since I am on a low budget as is) to get the 2 front shocks as adjustable, and the 2 rear shocks, non-adjustable, but the same brand? Or is that a bad idea? Also, would I be better off geting a kit, with springs and shocks, instead of going with 2 different manufacturers?

Dont you have to pay shiping costs at tirerack? The place I was lookin at does not charge shiping.

And, I know its not that hard to replace the springs, and I just need to go rent a spring compressor, but would it be "rice of me" to buy the springs and install them on stock shocks untill I get the adjustablz? I dont mind riping everything apart, since its really not that hard. Besides I like to work on it.... I know a few people who have stock shocks and lower springs, and they just keep it like that (but they are all show and no go).
Old 03-05-2005, 05:15 PM
93civicsedan

Well since you said you got $300 to spend on springs and $400 on shocks, you might as well get some nice omni full coilovers for that much. Or you can get tokico illuminas with springs for about $450. Depends what you want to do. Also from what Ive read anything more that a 1.5" drop its recommended to get a camber kit. Id recommend getting the suspension first and then later on getting the wheels. Your car will look so much better with a nice drop and new wheels than with no drop and rims which will most likely give your car the 4x4 look.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:51 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

What are you going for? Looks or handling/performance?

Looks: springs
handling/performance: tires

Springs will bring out the potential in your tires, but aren't gonna do much if they have all season tires to work with.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:05 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

well i think a set or springs or coilovers could make the car handle nicer from stock
but you would notice the performance handling diff more with a high perf wheel/tire combo
Old 03-05-2005, 06:14 PM
onebadassdx

with eibach prokit and kyb agx, you shouldn't need a camber kit. but make sure you get an alignment as soon as possible, i got lazy and it chewed through a set of tires like crazy. you can pick up a set of eibach springs on ebay for like 190 shipped.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:54 PM
bambbrose

get omni's from function motoring. I love my omnis, and you can get omni front and rear camber kits for $150 total
Old 03-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my wheels first, 16", the car 'looked' higher, but it's actually just a visual 'illusion'. I'd say get springs/struts first.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net