Notices

Distibutor Cap?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 PM
zlytle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distibutor Cap?

My car wont start on cold wet days. I had read that you can test your plug wires by spraying them with water at night. If you see any sparks you wires are bad. As a test, I sprayed a light about of water (from a spray bottle) on the engine while it was running. When the distributor was sprayed the car shut off and wouldn't restart. Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

It is possible that you could have gotten water inside the cap, so I would replace it and the rotor. They are cheap anyway, so why not? I have never heard about the spark plug wire test that you are referring to. Sounds like a really bad idea to me though. Get the wires too, since those sound like they need replacing too.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:02 AM
sibiryk

I heard about this test but never tried.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:11 AM
'93TurboD
5-finger discount :rick:

Yeah this test works, take a screw driver and ground it to the - neg post on the battery, spray down your dist cap and wires and wave the screwdriver over the wires and cap. If there is any arcing then they need to be replaced. If your car stalled when u sprayed the dist. cap and u need your car to get new parts then use silicone spray on the cap and wires to get rid of the water.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Doesn't anybody use a multimeter anymore? Just test the resistance on each plugwire. I beleive it should be 25kohm :thumbup: