Notices

engine mount vibrations

Old 03-02-2005, 04:35 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine mount vibrations

Today I drove around pretty much for the first time since my swap and I was surprised by the increased cabin vibration after installing ES polyurethane engine mount inserts (the ones that just squish into your stock mounts). Stopped at a stoplight, the steering wheel jiggles and the window cranks rattle around like mad... makes a lot of noise. Of course, my car has no interior trim whatsoever, so that may contribute to the sensation, but it was a tad more than I was expecting. Feels real nice on the go, however. Just thought I'd share. h:
Old 03-02-2005, 05:16 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post. I appreciate stuff like this.

More reason why I don't get polyur engine mounts. (But I'd do it to a dedicated racer.)
Old 03-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 'em in the GSX and love 'em. I found all kinds of stuff likes to rattle loose, and it takes a lot of loctite to keep the car together after you install them... but my girlfriend likes the way it vibrates. I'm not trying to sound like a perv or anything, but she digs it as much as I do. The car feels like it's... more serious. You'll get used to it fast. Using electrical tape on dash fasteners, screw heads, etc... can help you sort out all the buzzes and rattles.

DSMers with solid poly motor mounts (and no balance shafts) have been known to vibrate their oil filters loose. That's a nightmare.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:15 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jafro
DSMers with solid poly motor mounts (and no balance shafts) have been known to vibrate their oil filters loose. That's a nightmare.
holy shit :chuckles:

I don't really mind either... my car hasn't been pleasant to ride in for years anyway. When it hits that resonant frequency and really gets going, I just rest my foot gently on the gas and its not too bad. If I just let it idle at ~600 though, yikes