Notices

Rotors and brake dust

Old 02-26-2005, 09:17 PM
OblivionLord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors and brake dust

Would using rotors with the holes lessen the amount of dust on the wheels or is that mainly the pads?
Old 02-26-2005, 09:20 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Brake dust comes from pads.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

It is all from the pads. If you switch to ceramic, the brake dust is white, so it is less noticable. They squeal too much at low temperatures unless you buy quality ones.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:45 AM
Kabooki

Originally Posted by OblivionLord
Would using rotors with the holes lessen the amount of dust on the wheels or is that mainly the pads?
In general, i'd say yes. Since the holes/slots keep the dust off the rotors the pads have a clean surface to grip. When there is a little dust, it acts as "sandpaper" on the rotors creating MORE dust..... Not sure how to explain it how I was told. but you should get the general idea... When i first looked into drilled/slotted i thought since it was a rougher surface it would grind down the pads faster (cheese grader came to mind). Once they explained that pad life increases because the rotors stay free of this "sanding" dust, I understood better of why/how it works.

Make any sense?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:15 AM
OblivionLord

So the holes in general increase the longivity of the pads. hmmmm
Old 02-27-2005, 09:13 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally Posted by OblivionLord
So the holes in general increase the longivity of the pads. hmmmm
The holes don't do squat on our cars. Just for show - nothing else.

But slotted rotors are supposed to make a cleaner surface every rotation so that will wear out your pads faster.

Dust is a part of braking - it's something you cannot avoid. Just get some gunmetal wheels like i do and you will never notice it.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Kabooki

i think the holes are to help cool the rotors under heavy breaking, the slots are better for keeping the rotors free of dust But I still think with a clean surface, your pads would last longer than rotors that were covered with dust. One way to look at it is having sand in a berring, if no sand, it would last longer than if there was sand.

But youre pretty much gonna deal with dust either way, drilled/slotted just help keep it off the rotor.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:26 PM
CivicSiRacer

Originally Posted by Kabooki
i think the holes are to help cool the rotors under heavy breaking, the slots are better for keeping the rotors free of dust But I still think with a clean surface, your pads would last longer than rotors that were covered with dust. One way to look at it is having sand in a berring, if no sand, it would last longer than if there was sand.

But youre pretty much gonna deal with dust either way, drilled/slotted just help keep it off the rotor.
Maybe you are reading too many rice magazines but cross drilled rotors on a Civic is a waste of time and braking power. On our cars all you need are Brembo blanks and some good pads. Also figure with cross drilled rotors you have less surface area for braking and last I checked in order to brake efficiently you need rotor surface area so you create more friction for your to stop.

Also dust is just an annoyance on your wheels. Not much of it gets trapped between your rotor and pad to cause problems. Heck I autocross 30-40 events per year and my brake setup lasts about 1 1/2 years.

Last edited by CivicSiRacer; 02-27-2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:30 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally Posted by Kabooki
In general, i'd say yes. Since the holes/slots keep the dust off the rotors the pads have a clean surface to grip. When there is a little dust, it acts as "sandpaper" on the rotors creating MORE dust..... Not sure how to explain it how I was told. but you should get the general idea... When i first looked into drilled/slotted i thought since it was a rougher surface it would grind down the pads faster (cheese grader came to mind). Once they explained that pad life increases because the rotors stay free of this "sanding" dust, I understood better of why/how it works.

Make any sense?

no, it doesnt make sense to me.

How does having slotted rotors or drilled rotors increase life in brake pads and clean rotors? As far as I see, drilled/slotted rotors have one purpose, to keep friction temperatures down during frequent braking (track, motorsports) to decrease chances of brake fade and such.

more surface area = more friction.

cross drilled/slotted = less friction = lower temperatures. (in which in 95% of cases you and I do not need on daily driving b/c our brakes do not get hot enough to ever need efficient cooling)

if you want good braking performance from your pads, deal with the dust. otherwise get your self some regular ceramic pads that someone has mentioned earlier.

Last edited by darth asiandoood; 02-27-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:37 PM
CivicSiRacer

Originally Posted by darth asiandoood
no, it doesnt make sense to me.

How does having slotted rotors or drilled rotors increase life in brake pads and clean rotors? As far as I see, drilled/slotted rotors have one purpose, to keep friction temperatures down during frequent braking (track, motorsports) to decrease chances of brake fade and such.

more surface area = more friction.

cross drilled/slotted = less friction = lower temperatures. (in which in 95% of cases you and I do not need on daily driving b/c our brakes do not get hot enough to ever need efficient cooling)

if you want good braking performance from your pads, deal with the dust. otherwise get your self some regular ceramic pads that someone has mentioned earlier.
Exactly. If I can lock up my tires/wheels with my brakes that means I have plenty of braking power and not enough tire. Actually I've locked up my DOT R tires too with the same brake setup: brembo blanks, Hawk HPS pads, Goodrich stainless steel lines, Valvoline Synpower brake fluid.