Notices

question

Old 02-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Civic Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question

Sup man im a new member well i have a question...well i dont know if this is true but if you take off your power steering do you get more horse power or something like that????????? or does it help your car in some kin of way
Old 02-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Outxider
X-Motoring

u free up some power but not much. 2-3hp at max. i would rather keep mines, as i daily drive my hatch. and welcome to han and hope enjoy ur stay here. :wavey:
Old 02-19-2005, 05:15 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

you increase HP a little bit, nothing noticable.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Civic Guy

but in what way does that work.......
Old 02-19-2005, 02:36 PM
CivicRacr

its call parasitic drag, the engine works a bit more to turn the power steering pump, but not much that you'll notice any gains from removing the ps belt
Old 02-19-2005, 02:58 PM
89civicSiR
thats right im a NOOB!

when i bought my 89 civic si it didnt have any power steering but i dont know if the owner b4 me took it off cuz he also removed the ac to gain hp. when i test drove the car it was a bitch to take corners but when i put in a front upper strut bar the steering is almost like power steering when your driving but its still a bitch when your turning the wheel from a stop.......if my car had power steering and i knew how to remove it properly i would as long as i had a strut bar. besides power steering is over rated.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:00 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89civicSiR
when i bought my 89 civic si it didnt have any power steering but i dont know if the owner b4 me took it off cuz he also removed the ac to gain hp. when i test drove the car it was a bitch to take corners but when i put in a front upper strut bar the steering is almost like power steering when your driving but its still a bitch when your turning the wheel from a stop.......if my car had power steering and i knew how to remove it properly i would as long as i had a strut bar. besides power steering is over rated.
i dont think a strut bar would do that
Old 02-20-2005, 02:48 AM
twinring

Originally Posted by 89civicSiR
I cant remember if 4th gen. civics even came with power steering
Old 02-20-2005, 06:00 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

None of the 4th Gen Civics or the CRXs had power steering.

I love the feedback I get from my 1989 Civic Si without powersteering. And it's only a pain to turn if you are going less than 5mph.

But as people said removing it you will gain no more than 5hp. Not really a huge issue unless you are trying to gain every last ounce of hp. I know easier ways of getting 5hp personally.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Civic Guy

and would you be able to share your ways with us..........that will be cool knowing other ppl's personall ways to gain HP it could help others