Notices

Sohc Engine Rebuild. Anyone have great info?

Old 01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
W O T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sohc Engine Rebuild. Anyone have great info?

First of all, I just signed up because other forums I was on are just to slow, and this webforum seems to have huge ammounts of info and users.

But Im basically trying to rebuild my D16A6 form the ground up and Im looking for some articles/threads with great information on the disassembly/assembly, whats needed ahead of time as far as gaskets go.

Hoping to stay here for a long time. My jobs boring and I do nothing but basically get payed to surf.

Thanks guys
Old 01-03-2005, 10:41 AM
W O T

giddy up
Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

1) start with a Haynes manual or better yet, a HELMS manual for any and all technical specifications.

2) the search feature built into this site will offer tons of resources about specific concerns or questions if you search in the proper forums.

3) there are lots of people with their car projects documented in the "My Garage" section, and some people have their builds documented in their signatures on their own private web pages. That should inspire plenty of confidence. I rebuilt a D15b7 head on my civic page. You might find that interesting.

4) you picked a good car to rebuild. The D16 is an easy motor to learn the basics with.

You basically need to buy a complete engine gasket set for around $90-$100, an engine stand for about $30 from any auto parts store, pick a machine shop, obtain the proper tools for the amount of disassembly and reassembly you need, and plan to spend 3x what you planned to spend because it gets addictive. If you already know how to use a torque wrench and why, you're already doing better than the general public.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:51 PM
bambbrose

If you are doing a performance D buildup, this is a great great read
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d%...ilding%5Ftips/

If you are just rebuilding to factory specs, I think that a helms should suffice and that you will have fun.. I have yet to do it, but am planning on building my first honda engine this spring. Jafro rebuilt his D series and did a very good job I thought. I'm sure he knows his shit and if you have any specific questions I would ask him
Old 01-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Originally Posted by bambbrose
If you are doing a performance D buildup, this is a great great read
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d%...ilding%5Ftips/
Wow, that was cool. I learned a thing or two.