Notices

cam gears work?

Old 12-29-2004, 05:23 PM
oldskoolcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam gears work?

Friend of mines is going to replace timing belt on a 98 DX (106 hp). since the mechanics told him they wonnt charge extra labor to him if he were to change the cam gears, is it worth the money? found on ebay is about 75 p
bucks shipped. the AEM ones are more expensive. his car is all stock excet for an intake and welded muffler. thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't trust cheap cam gears. especially on a vital engine component such as cams... Cam gears will only help you if you dyno tune the car. If the car is fairly stock and does not have any engine modifications, changing the cam gears will do nothing for you.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 12-29-2004, 08:19 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

since you cannot overlap events on an SOHC with a cam gear, I wouldn't reccomend one unless you find it for 20 bux or less but even though without an aftermarket cam its pointless.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

It's nice on a SHOC if you wanted to adjust your timing to accomidate for nitrous, & personally i don't like the AEM cam gears anyways because of the fact that they only have 3 bolts to hold them in place, where as some other ones have 5. If he's not planning on doing anything else to this car i would just save the cash.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:23 PM
oldskoolcivic

so not worth it? just the goalead on the t belt change and wtr pump?
Old 12-30-2004, 04:25 AM
monicle
Repo.Jackmoves.Com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 7hp more to the wheels with my gears but again im on a dohc and its dyno tuned. you will likely not see much of a gain with your setup. but hey if he has money to burn and he wants a cam gear then by all means. just make sure you intermittently check the locking screws so they dont go slipping on you.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:15 AM
japerformance

I would say it is worth it only if you have had the head skimmed or the block skimmed. If you skim your head or block you basically bring the head closer to the crankshaft which in turn retards the cam and if you stick in a thicker head gasket you are advancing the cam. I have dialed in many camshafts and it is amazing just how many crankshaft pullies are a degree out from the factory. Your cam timing is so important and if set up wrong you will loose power.

Have you ever had the head off the engine if so then an adjustable cam gear and dialing the cam in will help. If the engine is still in the original form then dont bother till the head is taken off.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:37 PM
oldskoolcivic

well.. if the car only has intake and exhaust. will there be a difference? like 2 hp gain at 6,000 rpm or something like that it does impreve throttle response right? since theres less resistance, so enging will take less time to rev faster