Notices

Positive and Negative Leads

Old 12-21-2004, 11:28 PM
CivixEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive and Negative Leads

Im not sure in my speakers if the polarity is reversed but is there any way of checking the cars leads for a negative or positive, because they dont label it on the car. Also is there a difference in getting the right polarity?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:22 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

I am having the same problem, and noone ever replyed to my post like 3 weeks ago...

I also wanted to know if the RCA jacks for my sub amp mattered where they were? Because on my pioneer amp both of the plugins are black, and on my stereo one is red and one is white? But on my 6xPhoenix gold amp for my stock speakers, the jacks are blue and black?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:43 PM
97civicdxkillah

maybe try them both in diff config's, ive installed many amp, sub, spkr, decks, and never had a problem. If one way doesnt work, go to the next, am i missing something?
Old 12-23-2004, 06:11 AM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

Originally Posted by racerdave
I am having the same problem, and noone ever replyed to my post like 3 weeks ago...

I also wanted to know if the RCA jacks for my sub amp mattered where they were? Because on my pioneer amp both of the plugins are black, and on my stereo one is red and one is white? But on my 6xPhoenix gold amp for my stock speakers, the jacks are blue and black?
for a sub it doesnt matter where the left or right RCAs go. I reccomend using Hi-Levs though as some deck manufacturers low level outputs arent as strong as other decks as far as power output.

and to check you can always use a noid light.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:38 AM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Here's a trick to figure out what polarity the terminals of your speaker are:

Get a AA, AAA, C or D battery. Hook a wire from the - terminal of the battery to either of the terminal on the speaker. Then hook a wire from the other terminal of the speaker and BRIEFLY touch the wire to the + end of the battery. DO NOT HOLD IT THERE OR DAMAGE WILL OCCUR. Just tap it briefly to connect. When you tap the wire to the + battery, look at the speaker. If it moves outwards (away from the magnet) then you have it connect - to - and + to +. If it move inwards (towards the magnet) then you have the polarity reversed.

Now put some tape on the speaker terminals and label them since you know what they are now.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:41 AM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

RCA jacks have both + (center plug) and - (outer ring). So each RCA jack represents a channel (left or right). For a dual coil subwoofer (which your subwoofer is if you only have one subwoofer driver and two RCA plugs) it doesn't matter which way you plug them in.

BTW, "red RCA" is usually "right" and "white RCA" is usually "left"
Old 12-23-2004, 08:46 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Thanks, I have 2 12's does that matter? Also I tryed that battery thing, and my speaker moves a little, but I cant tell wich way it moves.... I just got 2 new 6x9's and dont want to mess them up, they cost me 80.00, so I am a little paranoid.... Is there any other way to tell? Doesent somone have a wire diagram for the audio system on a 94 Civic EX?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 PM
LowSky

the sperker should be labeled to tell you what is pos and neg too... and if the wire has a black line going through it then its the neg one
Old 12-23-2004, 09:45 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Hmm, well your wires may be different, if they even have a black stripe on one. The speaker has a + and - terminal, and one is larger then the other... But how does that help me? I know how to read a + and -.... But tell me what wire is the + and which one is - and I will hook them up..... I am not an idiot, I have installed many speakers, and systems, its just the color code on the wires is purple, and orange. And the other side is green and brown.... The wires that plug into the head unit, that are the rear speakers, are different color wires then the ones going to the speakers, so they change color somwhere, and I dont feel like riping out my interior to trace a wire.. So that is why I dont know which is + and -. So if somone has a color code chart, or anything for a 94 EX, with the 6 speaker Acoustic Research Stock sound system (stock pioneer's), please let me know, or if you have a 94 EX, please take a look at your system and tell me what wires are what? I know for a fact that the wires are stock, and were not changed by anyone, I got the car from the original owner, and the speakers were all stock.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:30 PM
CivixEX

I know the positive/negative leads on the speakers, they are labelled but I don't know the what is positive/negative on the wires coming from the car, would i still use that battery method?