Notices

New to Honda's a few Q's?

Old 12-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Tim S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Honda's a few Q's?

I've been into cars for years, I've done the domestic thing and wanted to give this a try for a while. I've been looking for '99, '00 Civic Si's. Its something about the styling and that color blue. But anyways, after purchasing it I plan on mods, I'm looking to get around 400-450 chp. One is that possible to do on regular pump gas? And be emissions legal? I already know the bottom end will need to be forged, lower cr pistons, From Here I'm not sure what else I need for the internals? From there the usual bolt-ons and such. Turbo kit I was looking at dragkits.com To4b Super S trim, is this kit ok or can you guys suggest another one. I chose this kit mostly due to the price. What else will I need with that kit? I notice it doesnt mention new injectors, what size would I need to get? Also a FMU I didnt see that there either. Now my question is will I need to get it tuned after I install everything? Or is the kit like a bolt on kit. I know I'll see more hp with tuning but is it really neccesary. Will I have to get Hondata or something equivilant just to get it to run? If thats the case what will I need from there? Sorry for all the questions I searched as much as I could before posting but these were a few concerns I couldn't find answers for.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:02 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Welcome to HAN!

If you want thoes numbers you will have to go with boost. As far as that goes I have done alot of research on turbo/superchargers and I have came up with this.

If you go boost: You will want to upgrade most of the internals, if you want over 400hp, you will have to upgrade almost all of the internals.

You will also need a good depandable fuel system, along with that is computer upgrades.

You will have to tune it, if you dont you will be sorry, if you want thoes numbers you will have to tune it. If you dont, then you could do some damage in the long run.

I would say do a motor swap B or H series, and then go from there, I have seen some wicked fast Boosted H22 and 23, and a few B20's. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED (we love pictures)
Old 12-19-2004, 08:37 PM
shifty35

Originally Posted by racerdave
Welcome to HAN!

If you want thoes numbers you will have to go with boost. As far as that goes I have done alot of research on turbo/superchargers and I have came up with this.

If you go boost: You will want to upgrade most of the internals, if you want over 400hp, you will have to upgrade almost all of the internals.

You will also need a good depandable fuel system, along with that is computer upgrades.

You will have to tune it, if you dont you will be sorry, if you want thoes numbers you will have to tune it. If you dont, then you could do some damage in the long run.

I would say do a motor swap B or H series, and then go from there, I have seen some wicked fast Boosted H22 and 23, and a few B20's. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED (we love pictures)
The 99-00 SI's come with a B16A2.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:24 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

That Si blue is awesome. Good choice IMO.
I think 400 might be a tad bit high, of course I'm not being a naysayer, and I understand that a high goal might mean a good result even if you come a little bit short.
I just wanted to throw that out there.
The Si is a totally upgradable car, but if you plan on going nuts with engine swaps and fully boostable internals anyway, there are lighter cars out there.
But then agian we come back to the blue.....
Such is life I guess. Good luck and welcome teh HAN.
Post pics if you get the Si.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:27 AM
str8edgexx

Originally Posted by bluetwo
I think 400 might be a tad bit high, of course I'm not being a naysayer, and I understand that a high goal might mean a good result even if you come a little bit short.
Thats not too unrealistic of a goal. He wants 400 crank hp, not wheel hp. Westcoaststyle has a boosted B18C and he's getting 390 hp to the wheels.....so 400 to the crank is definitely attainable.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:35 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

i would have the block sleeved most deffinitely. buy all forged internals and keep compression at about 9:1. not to sure about the turbo, it will have to flow really well and probably be a t3/t3 (i know there are thousands of diferent t3/t4's) fuel management is where you can be creative. you could convert to obd1 and use uberdata, or use hondata (over priced in my opinion) and lots of other mods.
you may have 400 hp but your problem is going to be hooking up all that power to the ground. so your going to need suspension mods and some pretty decent tires.
you'll be looking at quite a bit of money too if you want this to be a daily driver making everything super safe and i wouldnt count on having the car emissions legal, but eimissions a re gay, so **** that neway
Old 12-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Paul
Eater of Rice

Originally Posted by Tim S
I've been into cars for years, I've done the domestic thing and wanted to give this a try for a while. I've been looking for '99, '00 Civic Si's. Its something about the styling and that color blue. But anyways, after purchasing it I plan on mods, I'm looking to get around 400-450 chp. One is that possible to do on regular pump gas? And be emissions legal? I already know the bottom end will need to be forged, lower cr pistons, From Here I'm not sure what else I need for the internals? From there the usual bolt-ons and such. Turbo kit I was looking at dragkits.com To4b Super S trim, is this kit ok or can you guys suggest another one. I chose this kit mostly due to the price. What else will I need with that kit? I notice it doesnt mention new injectors, what size would I need to get? Also a FMU I didnt see that there either. Now my question is will I need to get it tuned after I install everything? Or is the kit like a bolt on kit. I know I'll see more hp with tuning but is it really neccesary. Will I have to get Hondata or something equivilant just to get it to run? If thats the case what will I need from there? Sorry for all the questions I searched as much as I could before posting but these were a few concerns I couldn't find answers for.
450 whp is attainable, especially if you plan on forging the bottom end, you definitely want to sleeve it while you have the block apart. As for the DRAG kits, it would be extremely difficult to pull 450 whp on that kit alone. I would highly reccommend looking at a tubular manifold, a different wastegate, ditching the FMU in favor of Hondata, AEM EMS or E-Manage. You're honestly better off just putting together your own turbo setup. It'll be difficult to manage 450 whp out of the T3/T04B, you'll be out of efficency.
It'll be tough to pull those numbers on pump gas and to pass emissions, if not impossible.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Tim S

Thank you for the welcome! I'm def. not looking for 400whp just crank hp. This car will still remain as a daily driver. When i get a chance later on tonight I'll post up my shopping list of stuff I plan on getting. Thanks again guys, keep the suggestions coming!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Tim S

What kind of suspension parts would I need besides for a LSD? Also how much cheaper would it be to build my own turbo kit, compared to the headache to make it all work together?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:35 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

A good set of springs and struts, tokico, and eibach are what I am going for, but listen to others, cuz thats who told me what to get.

LSD is a must with a turbo.

If you build your own kit you will be geting the most out of what you have. As far as price goes, you can spend more or less buying the kit, but I say if you want the most HP for your $$ and relyability, piece together your kit, that way you know what you get, and you can pick and choose what you want.

It all depends on the aplication. GOOD LUCK!