Notices

second guessing doing the mini-me

Old 12-17-2004, 06:19 AM
lkailburn
college kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second guessing doing the mini-me

hey guys can i get some input on this. i picked up a y8 longblock and was going to swap the head onto my y7. i've stripped the head all apart, did valve lapping, gonna have it acid dipped, have all new valve seals, cam seal etc.. but now im doubting weather or not i should do it. cuz ive also got a 90% complete turbo setup that i've been putting together that will go on in the spring.

i've been trying to find the compression ratio i'd get from the y7/y8 mini me and it looks like 10:1 !! and i really don't want higher compression

i was planning on just running a new oem headgasket but maybe a cometic gasket would help keep the compression down a bit.

what do u guys think i should do?

thanks,

-Luke
Old 12-17-2004, 06:29 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I don't think the cometic gasket would make enough difference for you to have a significantly safe turbo application setup.
I mean the compression would prolly still be too high to do much more than 5 or 6 psi. But don't let me influence your decision that much cause I don't really know for sure.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:48 AM
lkailburn
college kid

why is it exactly that the mini-me makes more compression then if it was just a straight y8?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:03 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i'd say go for it & just make sure u tune it.. you won't be able to run a much boost due to the fact that u'll have stock internals but your advantage will be that you will actually be able to get u'r self off of the line with the compression.. & when boost builds u'll have even more power..

low compression is nice with a turbo setup because it can handle more boost.. but you also will lack your low end power.. it's kind of a trade of.. I'd say if u already have everything then go for it!
Old 12-17-2004, 07:10 AM
lkailburn
college kid

the wrx turbo ill be running is gated at 7psi. i was gonna throw a mbc on there(to build boost faster at 7psi anyways) but also just so i could get a dyno of over 200whp just to see what it'd take.. lol... just once

the setup will be dyno-tuned with uberdata..really good tuners, they've done two of my friends rides already

for daily driving i'll keep it at 7psi but im still worried..
Old 12-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i probably would change the spring in your wastegage & lower it down a couple lbs.. running 7+ psi is probably going to be to much for a stock 10:1 compression d-series.. but get on the dyno & find out.. .. the numbers will tell you!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:39 AM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

Originally Posted by lkailburn
why is it exactly that the mini-me makes more compression then if it was just a straight y8?
as far as i know people only made a mini-me for higher compression not to run boost.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by NeverBX
as far as i know people only made a mini-me for higher compression not to run boost.
this is true.. it was done as a cheep way to get more power (via higher compression)
Old 12-17-2004, 01:37 PM
lkailburn
college kid

i didn't know it would up the compression any more than a stock y8 would have so i figured it would be a nice upgrade in addition to boost.

and with the mini-me u also have vtec, new manifolds, sometimes ppl include the tranny in there too which would be nice but im not getting the tranny.

hmm hmm hmm what to do
Old 12-17-2004, 02:57 PM
lkailburn
college kid

hmm that 10:1 number i posted seems to be the z6 mini-me.. and i hear that mini-me has a higher compression than the y7/y8

so i may not be so bad afterall. i'm going to look into cometic head gaskets.. just for a lil added thickness.

y7/y8 compression seems to be zero'ing in somewhere around 9:7 - 9:9:1