Notices

Dong, Where is my Car?

Old 12-10-2004, 11:03 AM
NetEng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dong, Where is my Car?

Grandpa: Dong? Where is my automobile?
Long Duck Dong (drunkenly): Auto-mo-bile? (makes car crash noises)

1999 - Honda Civic Si, Alameda, Northern California

I walked out and my car was gone, not where I left it - taken from midnight to 4am. I reported it missing immediately. I picked up a call from Fremont Police Department (a few miles South) the next day at 7:30am - which ironically is the city I work in. It was stripped. They took it during a rain storm. Police weren't able to lift prints off of it due to that anyway. Also, various parts all over the car were missing while the speakers and stereo were still in tact. It was obvious they attempted to look at the speakers to see if they were worth removing. I purposely kept this car stock and didn't do any mods on it... for good reason.

I will have to battle this out with the insurance company now. This will be one of the harder things I've had to go through. Naturally I've thought already of Plan B and there really isn't a Plan C. Something will have to work out into my favor I suppose, but we'll see. Things can get much worse - such as the insurance company finding some clause where they don't cover the car. I have heard many disaster stories of Ins. companies finding ANY reason why they don't have to pay out the claim. Aka Progressive...

If so, at this point I have no choice but to move forward and learn from my mistake of not protecting my car enough (aka club, LoJack, etc). Although the Police told me that there wasn't much I could have done other than sleep in it, maybe and armed guard standing next to it - it just seems to me like there was more I could have done regardless of what they said.

I guess we'll see how things turn out but it doesn't matter how things go now - as the Civic I've had for the last four/five years won't be drivable.

New car... great. I shopped around last night and found a white Civic EX I like. As much as I wish I could just have my old car back - it isn't reality.

So, skipping forward, they took majority of the parts off it - including pennies I had in the door. Someone elses tires were on all four sides and panels were missing. I took pictures - quite depressing. They did leave the soy sauce in the trunk, which I was surprised but they took out trash, papers, and misc clothing I had in the back seat.

To get into the locked trunk they cut open the panel on the driver's side and pulled the strings to release the hatch. I guess the valet lock is only a small obstacle because they very well got into the trunk and removed it. The front seats were missing. They attempted to remove the emblem CIVIC but damaged it so they left it, but they did take Si, and H's on front and back... as well as the bumpers.

So, it's going to be scrapped because the cost of repairing the vehicle won't be worth the value compared to what I can get on a new/used car.

I asked Ins. Company is there was anything I could have done - they, much like the police department said I couldn't have done anything differently.

I ruled out the tow factor even though glass wasn't found because the ignition switch was broke clean off.

The trunk was in the car itself and the front hood was missing along with bumpers... engine ... what was left of it, was in the trunk.

In the right side of the car, under the windshield - was a white rubber glove... a calling card from the professional harvest thief that took it.

Surprisingly enough, it had an almost full tank of gas as I had filled up recently.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Really sorry to hear that man.. i kno how ya feel, i had a vehicle stolen b4.. ins. didn't cover mine coz "i made it a targe" .. it had a nice paint job on it ..wtf!

best of luck with what ever happens tho
Old 12-10-2004, 11:35 AM
kill_kill_kill
it's sarcastic dude

sucks man, my car was stolen and the police didn' even bother to take prints, so don't stress abotu the rain.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:59 AM
LowSky

things always seem to go wrong when you have a full tank of gas... at least to me
Old 12-10-2004, 02:32 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sorry man, same thing happened to me last week, good luck to you.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:51 AM
hotcowboy76

Hey guy sorry to hear about your loss, just wondering where it was taken from? I work in the livermore area and I drive the same kind of car so I wouldnt want to leave my car in the same area.