Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   Is My D16z Worth Keeping ? (rookie) (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/158261-is-my-d16z-worth-keeping-rookie.html)

Civic2Scooby 10-03-2004 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bolt-on
your probably right. but just for shits and giggles what do you think a fair price for a b motor swap is? labor included.

depends on the B motor in question....and do the swap yourself...you will learn a humungous amount about your motor, and it only takes a long weekend and a couple of friends with wrenches.

krazywhitboy 10-03-2004 04:01 PM

b series is overrated imo. for the price of a b series swap, you can make just as much, or in most cases more power, just building up your d series. i have a d16a6 in my crx right now with a jackson racing supercharger and some minor mods (i/h/e...) and i take b16 (and one b18c) swapped crx's all day long...plus in cali, you have to worry about the smog nazi's. swapped motors are a pita in cali....just my $0.02....

oh and i spent about $1500 total for my sc kit....about $500-1000 less than a b series swap (after motor mounts, linkage, axles, etc...)...

bolt-on 10-03-2004 04:04 PM

no im thinking more like set a budget and do both to the same car. compare dyno results. build the d first and swap in a b second. my 97 coupe should work. how about a budget battle? build a d16y8 and swap in b16? can you wait years for the results? all motor d of course as it is old news that a turbo d wins this contest outright. and i guess the only fair way to do it is to do both myself and not factor in labor in either case.

Civic2Scooby 10-03-2004 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by krazywhitboy
b series is overrated imo. for the price of a b series swap, you can make just as much, or in most cases more power, just building up your d series. i have a d16a6 in my crx right now with a jackson racing supercharger and some minor mods (i/h/e...) and i take b16 (and one b18c) swapped crx's all day long...plus in cali, you have to worry about the smog nazi's. swapped motors are a pita in cali....just my $0.02....

oh and i spent about $1500 total for my sc kit....about $500-1000 less than a b series swap (after motor mounts, linkage, axles, etc...)...

like I said...an FI D series is just fine and dandy if you are on a budget and looking for power. I wont argue that. I am saying that a built B will walk a built D all day long. I am also saying that building an NA D series motor up makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

bolt-on 10-03-2004 04:17 PM

please explain why you cannot make allmotor power with a d? im not even going to mention bisi.

Civic2Scooby 10-03-2004 04:34 PM

please explain why you cannot make allmotor power with a d? im not even going to mention bisi.

didnt say you couldnt...just said it is pointless.....the amount of money you need to overcome the shotty flow of the head, the poor displacement, etc etc...

it is just easier to build the B to a better motor...that is just the way it is.

midstofviolence 10-03-2004 04:47 PM

B series is not overrated at all!

Sure you can make d series fast...but with enough money you can make anything fast.
The d series is cheaper, but depending on your goals, the b series has far more potential.

Wow, you take n/a b16s and b18s with you f/i d series....slap a turbo on a b16 and we will see who eats who. Or maybe you would like to try and hang with a b18b turbo....I don't think so. The b series will probably last longer under boost conditions too (given you don't abuse your psi on stock internals) because they are better quality engines.

krazywhitboy 10-04-2004 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by midstofviolence
B series is not overrated at all!

Sure you can make d series fast...but with enough money you can make anything fast.
The d series is cheaper, but depending on your goals, the b series has far more potential.

i will agree with that. just simply stating that for the money you spend on a b series swap, you can build up your d series and get the same amount of power....

midstofviolence 10-04-2004 04:45 PM

i will agree with that. just simply stating that for the money you spend on a b series swap, you can build up your d series and get the same amount of power....

ya, sorry i just went off...i have a b18c in my hatch... so i had to defend my b series family :)

Anyway what you say is true....but like i was saying you can only push a d- series so far, safely, whereas a b series in a whole nother platform in terms of acessable power

ED9man 10-04-2004 05:19 PM

d series engines are up to 50 lbs lighter than b and there are all motor d series motors getting close to 300 hp. so a well researched and built d should be less expensive and superior to a stock b swap? i will expect the ensuing shitstorm

all motor D-series motor would impress me pushing 180whp