Notices

5th gen Civic Problem :( When will it end?

Old 09-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Kabooki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gen Civic Problem :( When will it end?

Newest problem for the day.(the story take 1)

Tonight I was delivering pizza and on my way back to the store when all of a sudden I see cop lights behind me. Yup, I was gettin pulled over so I did the usuall routine and put my dome light, and turned off the car. I had absolutly no idea why I would be pulled over however right when I turned my signal on to pull to the shoulder I noticed my gauge cluster lights had just gone out. My gauge faces I bought before had done this in the past so I thought maybe I left something loose and thats why I removed them last month. Well the officer informs me that I have no lights on in back. Well when I left the store i know they were on because I saw my lights in the reflection of the store windows so I thought I just blew a fuse. On my way home tonight (2:30am) I noticed as I was using my signal that there is an odd spot when I move the lever up or back that my gauge lights go off. There is some kind of short in the actuall turn signal switch. So what I would like to know is has anyone ever had that switch mess up on you? How hard is it to replace and will the steering wheel have to come off?(I really dont wanna have to take off the wheel due to the air bag)

Sorry for long story..
Old 09-18-2004, 05:52 AM
hybridhondahatch
for that added pep

had the same probolem with my hatch. oddly enough it was a short by my cigarette lighter. when i had it plugged into the harness(the one in the back by the wiring for the HU) i would blow that same fuse but when i left it disconnected (not plugged in and not functional) i had no probolem.

i think it must be common because my buddys cqar did the same thing
Old 09-18-2004, 08:35 AM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

yes, my light switch did that to me. I pulled it apart, shot some carb cleaner in there and cleaned up the contacts. works perfectly now.
It sounds exactly like what you mentioned... but mine wouldn't turn on the parklights when it was cold out. probibly the crap on it solidified a little more and made the connection worse.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Kabooki

is the light switch hard to remove? does the wheel have to come off?

Relic1, how did you clean the switch?
Old 09-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Relic1
yes, my light switch did that to me. I pulled it apart, shot some carb cleaner in there and cleaned up the contacts. works perfectly now.
It sounds exactly like what you mentioned... but mine wouldn't turn on the parklights when it was cold out. probibly the crap on it solidified a little more and made the connection worse.
:nono: you should never ever spary solvents on electrical components.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:19 AM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by b16aEGcivic

yep, b16a is completely correct, thats why electrical cleanerr and carb cleaner are in two diff cans..

because unfortunetly carb cleaner eats rubber usually too, or atleast weakens it.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

Originally Posted by b16aEGcivic
true, if it's powered. unpowered is no big deal.
If it's smaller contacts, you need to clean up the residue with a good contact cleaner. Larger stuff like this is no big deal at all.

I did a write up for doing it the right way. hope that helps.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Civic2Scooby

If it's smaller contacts, you need to clean up the residue with a good contact cleaner. Larger stuff like this is no big deal at all.

even if it is unpowered, you should still never ever spray solvent on electrical components. all the carb cleaner is not going to end up exactly where you spray it, and can lead to much more serious problems down the road.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:58 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

I don't think he was referring to problems when its powered, but more to the problems itll cause to the materials its sprayed on.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

Originally Posted by alphaxxn
I don't think he was referring to problems when its powered, but more to the problems itll cause to the materials its sprayed on.
now it makes sense... very right. it will eat rubber things and weaken crappy plastic parts.
to take that a step further you shouldn't use it on anything unless it's isolated.