Notices

o2 sensor stuck. Please save me $65

Old 09-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Kabooki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor stuck. Please save me $65

Need tips on how to get it off. The manifold is already out of the car and the bolt part of the sensor is now stripped. I tried a 7/8, crecent wrench, vice grip & 2x4 but nothing will make that damn thing budge. On last resort, tomorrow I will be going to buy a new one

I swapped my manifold with the manifold from my del sol si which is almost like a 4-2-1 header. It looks alot better than my dx manifold.I guess i might just need to go buy a new o2 sensor now. Dont these things need to be replaced as routine maintenece anyway? How often should they be changed?

Is it bad to drive without one? my check engine light is on and its running kinda crappy but I only drove it across my driveway. Guess i'll have to drive the sol tomorro...
Old 09-13-2004, 05:34 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a torch just blast it for a while and make it heat up, its easier to remove that way, plus they sell o2 sensor sockets to take them out easier.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:44 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replace it. You can get a Bosch from Autozone and they work great. I had the same problem you did once upon a time. The way the manifold is made it makes it hard to get a good grip on the 02 sensor nut. Anyways, it's not routine maintenance (as opposed to your regular oil change) to change out an o2 sensor. If your car has more than 60k don't feel too bad, but factory recommends you change them out when you replace the cat (whenever that may be) probably when you fail a smog test. So yeah, replace it, it will go in easier and work better since it is new. Your fuel economy will most likely improve as well, my did. Oh yeah, your car will continue to run like crap if you don't put one in. The 02 sensor is the balancing piece between your air and fuel mixture, without it your car won't know how/when to burn the fuel properly.