Notices

electrical problem help!

Old 08-29-2004, 11:49 AM
93civicsedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem help!

Im having some electrical problems in my civic. When I press the brake pedal all my parking lights come on. When I let go they turn off. I put a test light to the fuse connector that controls the parking/instrument/license plate lights and only one side comes on when I turn my lights on. Is there anything that I could check to fix this. Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:03 PM
93civicsedan

bump
Old 08-30-2004, 08:04 AM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

if only one side of the fuse has power the fuse is blown. BUT if your parklamps are coming on with the brake light you have some sort of short somewhere, which could be blowing the fuse.
have you swapped out the bulbs in the rear of the car lately? Did you put an 1156 bulb(single filiment) in the 1157 brake/taillight socket(double filiment).
pull both outer bulbs out and see if the brakes still turn on the park lamps.
look at the bulbs, there should be two perches with a little wire going between them, also two distinct connections on the bottom of it. if there's only one replace it with the correct 1157 and try it again.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:31 AM
93civicsedan

Well I checked the bulbs and one of them was all white inside, looked like smoke. I put in another 1157 in its place and everything seems to be back to normal. Two questions though do 2057 bulbs = 1157? I the one that burned out was a 1157 in place of a 2057. I have it like that on both sides but only one burned out. Also on an eg if you pull the parking/instrument/license plate fuse and put a tester to where the fuse connects should both sides or only one light up (with the fuse removed)? i want to make sure everything is ok. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:42 AM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

all white inside means the bulb died due to cracking the seal of the bulb. either poorly made or something happened to it.

2057 and 1157 are swapable. you're fine there.

if you have the ground lead of the tester to a ground, pulling the fuse will have power on only one side, if you don't pull the fuse then it should have power on both. (with the lights on of course)
Old 08-30-2004, 01:59 PM
93civicsedan

Originally Posted by Relic1
all white inside means the bulb died due to cracking the seal of the bulb. either poorly made or something happened to it.

2057 and 1157 are swapable. you're fine there.

if you have the ground lead of the tester to a ground, pulling the fuse will have power on only one side, if you don't pull the fuse then it should have power on both. (with the lights on of course)
I guess I am fine then since there is only power on one side without the fuse and power on both with the fuse. I cant believe that bad bulb caused the problem. I thought it was maybe a more serious short. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

something inside the bulb must have shorted the two legs of the bulb together when it died. caused a connection between the brake lights and park lights, the wiring of the car did the rest.
glad to hear you got it solved man, electrical problems can end up being the strangest things some times.