Notices

Best Motor for 94 Civic EX?

Old 07-30-2004, 07:34 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Motor for 94 Civic EX?

Ok, I am not planing on doing this soon, and I will take a while to do it. Cash canot be saved as long as I own a 68 Cuda, 68 Fairlane, and a 94 Civic....

I want to know more about the B-=series motors.
B16
B18
and B20

My plans are, keep my eye out at the yards, find a motor that has the Block, head, and all internals for about 500$.
Take it to the garage put it on a stand, fix it up little by little.

I plan on geting all the machine work done to the head and block asap -first thing.

I know the B18 has a good compresion ratio, and the B20's arent as good, but if I did the machine work to the block and new pistons, can I make it better than if I did the work to the B18? I know the 20 has more to work with... I just want to know what will be my best bet for a High performance Tuned motor?

Also, I donot plan on Turbocharging the engine. I may Supercharge, or add Nitros later on after the engine is in the car, but I doubt it will ever happen.

I just want to machine it, beef up the valve train with some highpo springs, valves, rockers, cams, pullys, pistons, crank, and so on. I work for Flex-a-Lite and have the hook up as far as cooling so I dont have to wory about that.

Just give me more info on the B series motors and what you all think is best (FOR ME), not what works for you, and please dont start a bitching war, I want info from somone who has swaped B's and has had a 16,18, and 20. So they know what to compare between.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:07 PM
saga
broke college kid

From what I've read around here the B16's are best for an NA setup. But I'll leave it to the pros to break it all down and suggest (argue) which is better for ya.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:43 AM
SmartySarty

alright dont go with the b16a becuase you have no tourqe, my friend has a b16a in his 91 rex and with bolt ons, ignition, hondata (LOTS of mods), puts down 180 whp. and not alot of tourqe, the b18c1 is a good motor, but still lacks sum tourqe(if where turboed, best motor, kno of car that put down 524 whp in a hatch) the b18c5 is badass motor but then we are talking big bucks. and the b20 LOTS OF WORK......but badass if done right........12's allmotor. My opinon for a motor for your civic is the h22a, but then agian i have this in my car and it could sway my thinking. But my jdm clip cam with motor, trans, LSD, ecu which had 205-210hp, and about 170ft/lbs. pulls my 92 hatch hard. with stock suspension, good tires, catback exhuast, polyurithane mounts with front race bar, exedy stageII 3 puck clutch and a bonestock motor i run high 13.s, suposibly with header, intake, exhuast, hondata, good suspension tires, my car could run a low 13 to high 12 sec car. but the h22 is bad for handling so def no autocross.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:53 AM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Ok, so far all I know is that the B16 has less HP and Torque than the B18... And I said nothing about an h22, I had a supercharged H23 that put out more than enuff HP, but it was in my prelude and the block cracked, so its gone.... Anything bigger than a 2.0 will be to heavy for what I want. So can anyone feed me more info on a B20? I want to know with the right mods and machine work, if a B20 can put out more HP than a B16 or 18?

Also keep in mind that I want to know the motors info without Turbocharging. Just read the first post again and it will tell you what I want to do to the motor.....

Keep in mind that money doesent really matter since I will be taking so long to do this build, I will have the funds all the time.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:28 PM
Paul
Eater of Rice

B20Z decent torque, decent power, and cheap if you can find em. Downside they have thinner sleeves.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:35 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

You can use a B20 block, but I'd really recommend a B18 SiR-G VTEC head.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:37 PM
92eg6
99 CG3 Owner

i would do a b20z vtec, or a h23a, it might have cracked because you didnt build the block good enough for the boost you were giving it. b20 vtecs are good but you have to have a really good person to do it. its not natural. there are springs out there for EG's with H series engines in it. for cost benefit go with a H serires better bang for the buck, and if you got the money, do a K series you cant go better now

Last edited by 92eg6; 07-31-2004 at 12:39 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-13-2004, 04:22 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

I am gonna get the H22, and swap it in this summer.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:37 PM
dicivicHB
...on Christ's Team...

well here's my two cents...i'd go B18....now its up to you which one you get...it's pretty much just an issue of how much you want to spend...the B18's have more torque generally which is something that most honda's lack...H22's are cool too...although they requre a little more riggin' to make them fit...i would say your best bet is a B18....the common motors are:

B18B/B18B1 (DOHC non-V-TEC)
B18C1/B18C5 (DOHC V-TEC)

I was going to go B18B1 a while back, they're cheaper than the C1/C5 motors...so i guess it's up to your wallet...good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:28 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

To tell you the truth....before i wrecked my car...i researched all the engines i could get for it...which basically were the D B and H series... *K was too expensive...anyways*

Each series has its own pros and cons. It all depends on what you want, when you want it,how long your willing to wait, how much cash, and how your going to get to it. While researching everything i would need to get the engine and my car where i wanted it, i need to build it on a system of some sort. Like if you get an intake, you have to get an exhaust system. If you get cams, you might as well match it up with the right internals. Engines should be built on a system thats planned to build upon itself and work with other components in the engine to put max effiency and power to the engine.