Notices

idle problem, timing problem, or vacuum leak?

Old 07-16-2004, 02:08 PM
emrysm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem, timing problem, or vacuum leak?

I have a 97 del sol si - auto tranny >> I'm not quite sure where to start with this problem... I guess with the current problem, then i'll work backwards:

The current problem is this - I replaced my blown engine with another with the same engine code (d16y8) from a 98 civic. The new engine had some nasty rusted injectors and very corroded combustion chambers. We opened it up and cleaned out all of that junk, replaced the piston rings and honed the cylinders - then put everything back together and started it. The car cranks up easily, but immediately after starting it, the revs climb to 2000, then slowly up to 2200... then it stalls to about 1500 and repeats the process. This continues to get faster... the engine heats up _very_ quickly. When we rev the engine, you can hear misfires and I heard a couple of pings.

I have checked all the sensors on the throttle body and they are good - as is the wiring. One possibiility is this - when I was removing the old engine, we didn't disconnect the crank angle position sensor, so the wires got pulled out - I had to rewire those myself. I don't think this could cause a problem, but I guess it's possible. We were also wondering if the MSD SCI ignition might have taken a hard bump from the engine... unfortunately I don't know how to bypass that - I didn't install it and I don't have any paperwork on it.

anyways - any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated

PS - the ecu is throwing code 19 because I replaced my auto with a manual -- no other codes are showing up.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:12 PM
s1ngle
clutch slipping boost

i would put a large sum of money on the fact that it is a vacuum leak.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:51 PM
emrysm

that's what i've been leaning towards after talking to quite a few people -- is there an article or diagram on here about checking for vacuum leaks?