Notices

Aftermarket Clutches??

Old 07-09-2004, 02:31 PM
dicivicHB
...on Christ's Team...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Clutches??

I'm going to be running a JDM D15B in my civic, and while i was swappin the engine, i need a new clutch, and i'm still stumped as to what type of clutch to run....i will have the basic bolt-ons, probably round 150Hp, should i just run a stock clutch? or organic clutch? stage 1? it will be my daily driver so it has to be practical for me(not in any way an "experienced" driver) to drive to work/school every day...thanks
Old 07-09-2004, 02:37 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a stock clutch would do fine. centerforce clutches have a better holding capactiy than stock with the stock clutch feel.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:04 AM
SmartySarty

well eventually your stock clutch will start to slip from daily and hard driving so y not swap it while you have the motor out, alot of places install clutches real cheep if the motor is out, like i got my clutch installed for a 100$ since i did it the same time i did my swap. i use a exedy stage II clutch in my (JDM)h22a eg hatch, doesnt bother me and its my daily driver, ?????but i do have a hydro tranny so could be a big differnce?????????
Old 07-10-2004, 05:16 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exedy makes a nice clutch and I've never head bad things, but I've never personally used/installed one... I run ACT and they are AWESOME clutches...
Old 07-10-2004, 06:08 AM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

ACT is a very good manufactuer when it comes to clutches and flywheels. I've seen plenty of 300hp cars (dsm's specifically) running them
Old 07-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Paul
Eater of Rice

I'm running the ACT HDSS, great clutch, pedal feel is good. Holds up to 225 whp, and 220 ft/lb torque just fine.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:41 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul
I'm running the ACT HDSS, great clutch, pedal feel is good. Holds up to 225 whp, and 220 ft/lb torque just fine.
:werd:

I run the XTSS.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

I have no idea what my ACT is... I'm using a street disc. I guess it's a XTWTF? The DSM community refers to them as Extreme 2100, 2600 and 2900lb. I have the 2600lb, I've done about 150 5000+ RPM AWD launches on it, and I have to say they make the most superior performance clutch money buys. It doesn't ever get all gooey on me at the track.

On the other hand, if you don't plan on exceeding 150hp or boosting it, there's no reason to go with more than a Exedy stage II. I have the Exedy budget clutch in my civic. I paid $175 on ebay for the whole package with a brand new OEM flywheel. Works okay and all, my civic only makes 90.9lbs of torque, and it's probably fine for most SOHCs. If you plan on doing any upgrades, I'd go with something bigger than the standard Exedy or you might be disappointed.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:25 PM
SmartySarty

my exedy stage II three puck grabes like a mother...............when i take ppl for a ride that know anything about cars they always comment and how hard my clutch grabs, this dude i kno with a del sol witht he h22a hatch drove my car and then bought that clutch within a month later. we both like it..............but once agian does anyone kno how much a difference the hydrotranny makes on the clutch....if any?
Old 07-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Paul
Eater of Rice

Originally Posted by SmartySarty
my exedy stage II three puck grabes like a mother...............when i take ppl for a ride that know anything about cars they always comment and how hard my clutch grabs, this dude i kno with a del sol witht he h22a hatch drove my car and then bought that clutch within a month later. we both like it..............but once agian does anyone kno how much a difference the hydrotranny makes on the clutch....if any?
The cable/hydraulic difference is the way in which the clutch is engaged.