Notices

Quick Exhaust Question

Old 06-20-2004, 03:29 PM
str8edgexx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Exhaust Question

I'm going to be putting a new OEM muffler on my car tomorrow. I know its an easy job, and basically all you need to do is remove the two bolts that hold the old muffler to the B pipe, and then reverse the process. My question is, how hard is it to get those bolts out? I've been soaking them all day in liquid wrench. These are the original bolts on a '98 model, and the car has been in the north east for all 6 of its years. Is it going to be a bitch to get those bolts to crack? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:30 PM
BassmintPimpin
EBP'n It!

I just put a axleback on a 97 Civic DX two weeks ago. Indiana car, and it didnt give me much trouble. Soaking them all day will help a lot, try PB Blaster.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:45 PM
str8edgexx

Originally Posted by BassmintPimpin
I just put a axleback on a 97 Civic DX two weeks ago. Indiana car, and it didnt give me much trouble. Soaking them all day will help a lot, try PB Blaster.
What did you use to get them off? Could you do it with hand tools, or did you need air tools or a torch?
Old 06-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

I'm always affraid to torch shit that close to teh gas tank....
I just snapped both of mine yesterday. I've used everything from normal bolts to spare bolts with the springs that I had laying around. That back section doesn't really flex....
Old 06-20-2004, 07:17 PM
BassmintPimpin
EBP'n It!

Just hand tools.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:35 PM
honura
Seni

Hand tools will be good. One thing to keep in mind. Make sure you have that socket on the bolt right... Because if you strip it your f**ked. Also have a small breaker bar just in case. goodluck.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:35 AM
str8edgexx

***UPDATE***

I just got done with the job. I ended up just using hand tools. It took around an hour because I ran into a slight problem. The passenger side bolt came off with no problems. I thought, great, this is going to be simple. Then I tried to get the driver side bolt off and it snapped The nut that it goes into on the B pipe it turns out is only spot welded on with 3 spot welds. With a little muscle, I was able to break that nut off the B pipe, and the broken bolt fell out. Then all I did was put a new nut (that I got at Home Depot before I started the job just in case....thank God) on the B pipe, and I was all set. I put anti-seize compound all over the bolts so that hopefully it will be easy to remove when my B pipe goes. Thanks for everyone that helped me out :thumbup: