Notices

96-97 LX/DX/HX exhaust manifolds! (read me if yours is cracked)

Old 04-30-2004, 11:26 AM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96-97 LX/DX/HX exhaust manifolds! (read me if yours is cracked)

Well, I just got off the phone with Honda Customer Service....

first of all, a link: http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/live/Honda/305.html

that link pretty much has a bunch of people talking about their manifolds cracking and getting them replaced. Alot of those people are Canadia, or from California, where the warrenty was extended to 150k.

now then, a while back I tried contacting the dealership about this issue. They told me 80k/8 years. However, after talking to honda CS, they told me the 96-97s were pushed to 150k for their emissions repairs. So I called up another dealership and set up an appointment for them to fix my header for free! :yay:

If you have this problem, and ran into the same dumbass dearship people as I did, I suggest doing what this guy says:

Originally Posted by brubin
I have a 99 Honda CIvic VP. I recently had the 90K mile service completed, and the dealer told me I had a cracked exhaust manifold. For the 99 Civic, the warranty is only for 8/80. I fought this by calling Honda USA at 800-999-1009. They worked with my local dealer to replace the part for free. If you have this same issue, you should fight this all the way up. This has proven to be a defect in the Civic model, and they are trying to make everyone pay for their own mistake.
call that number! (800-999-1009)

the guy on the other end was real cool with me, I gave him my VIN and some information, and he told me indeed, they changed the warrenty. So just an FYI for my fellow slow-pokes with the shitty built-in cats...

hey, it beats paying $700 to replace it
Old 05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
19.3secS2K

not that anyone cares....

anyways, I got the car serviced today....

for replacing the header, the cost I saved was $558.61 including labor. However, I pulled a fast one on Honda while I was at it

see, the first time I tried calling this dealership, they told me the only thing I could get was a free emissions service (new distributer cap/rotor, plugs, wires, oil change and filters). Basically a $56 job. So when I took the car in today, I told him about the header, the CEL, and all that crap, but as he was typing in my info, I mentioned the emissions service and got that done free of charge as well.

My car loves me today. So does my wallet.

I HIGHLY suggest anyone with this problem to get it done the free way
Old 05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

:repost:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...xaust+manifold

JFWY, it's good to bring this info up on a regular basis as we have new members joining everyday. This is a known problem and I would imagine there is alot of people out there with this problem that don't know about the extended warranty.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:22 AM
alongtheroad

Does this issue just apply to the D16Y8 engine or the D16Y7 too? My civic(98) has the cat in the manifold.

I've been trying to diagnose a leak which I thought was possibly related to the "a-Pipe" - I had to have a hose clamp put on the heat shield on the "a-pipe" as it is cracked. Now the heat shield is rattling again as well as the sound of a leak. I thought maybe a gasket wore out on either side of the "a-pipe" but it could be the manifold thing mentioned on this thread?

Some recommend getting a Honda "buzz kit" installed?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

The Y7 and the Y8 have different manifolds. The exaust manifold on the Y8 has a seperate catalytic converter. The Y7 has the manifold and the converter as one piece. So in short, no, this issue does not apply to the Y8.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:29 AM
spoony74

Default yeeah baby

I am going to get mine checked too. I saw there was a leak before the header and its loud! Not REALLY LOUD but louder than normal. They said they would check it for free. Ill tell u guys how it turns out after friday.

but since i have 145300 miles on it (96 del sol S model) it will save me alot of money. and thanks to ur srs how-to i got my airbags working again.

U GUYS ROCK heh
Old 05-26-2004, 08:11 AM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

I get my second free one installed tomorrow. :wiggle:
Old 05-26-2004, 04:35 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just get a performance header? you'll get a little performance gain and repair the header.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:41 PM
19.3secS2K

Originally Posted by JoePannone
why not just get a performance header? you'll get a little performance gain and repair the header.
yeah, 3whp really justifies one of those

these OEM headers are free
Old 05-26-2004, 06:18 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well then if its for free then go for it, but if it were me id consider it an excuse to buy a header

Quick Reply: 96-97 LX/DX/HX exhaust manifolds! (read me if yours is cracked)