Notices

Starting Problem: Fuel pump or relay?

Old 04-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Wharbone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problem: Fuel pump or relay?

So I went to start my civic today (92 ex) and it would not start. The Check Engine light would go on with the key and then turn off like normal, but I could not hear the fuel pump turning on like usual. There was no sound at all. I usually can hear the fuel pump turn on followed by a slight click under the dash. I waited like 5 min, tried again and it did the same thing. I waited another 5 min, and I finally heard the fuel pump turn on, and it started like a charm.

Do you think my fuel pump is going, I need to replace my relay, or something else?

ps: I remember reading that there is a service bullitin for 1992 civics that says they have an issue concerning a leaking check valve in the fuel pump. This usually causes an abnormally long cranking time before the engine starts. Could this be the problem? Do I need to replace the whole fuel pump to replace the check valve?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Civic2Scooby

sounds like it is time for a new fuel pump, that is exactly what mine did when it took a crap
Old 04-26-2004, 01:32 PM
taz77

in this case, it can go either way. i would probably say the main relay is the culprit only because it seems like virtually all hondas have had the main relay go out on them... a bad check valve just means the fuel lines between the fuel rail to the fuel pump isn't holding pressure w/ the engine off, but the fuel pump itself will still work. if you had tried cranking the engine for 5 seconds or more and it will still not start, i don't believe you have a bad check valve.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Wharbone

If I do need to replace the fuel pump, should I just go with an OEM pump, or something like a walbro? I don't plan to swap or turbo anytime soon.

If it is the relay, how much do they go for?

Thanks for your advice guys. Anyone else have any input? My car seems to be acting completely normal now.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:30 PM
eGsr
User

If it happens again try taping the main relay.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Wharbone

Originally Posted by eGsr
If it happens again try taping the main relay.
How do I do that?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Wharbone

bump. any more input?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:51 PM
maldini

Did this happen when the engine was still warm? The same thing happens to me occasionally, but most of the time when the engine is still warm, or during the summer when the temp is very hot. I just let it cool down and try again, then it will start. What's your situation?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

i had the same issue. i looked at the main relay as the culprit, mainly because i swapped in a gsr fuel pump a year prior.

with my hatch being gutted, i looked at the main relay.

i also noticed it happened to me only during hot weather...

i'd put my money on the main relay.
-----
Old 04-27-2004, 05:45 AM
Wharbone

Originally Posted by maldini
Did this happen when the engine was still warm? The same thing happens to me occasionally, but most of the time when the engine is still warm, or during the summer when the temp is very hot. I just let it cool down and try again, then it will start. What's your situation?
I had only driven my car for about 5 min. or so to go to the store. Went in the store for a couple of min. and came out. The engine would have been semi-warm, but not fully. It was raining outside, and not very warm.

Originally Posted by Bumnah
i had the same issue. i looked at the main relay as the culprit, mainly because i swapped in a gsr fuel pump a year prior.

with my hatch being gutted, i looked at the main relay.

i also noticed it happened to me only during hot weather...

i'd put my money on the main relay.
If this happens again, I think I will replace my relay first since it is the cheapest and then the pump if that doesn't fix it. I agree that I suspect the relay is the culprit.

Thanks for everyones input. I do appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Starting Problem: Fuel pump or relay?