Notices

fuel pump and alternator lifespan...

Old 04-21-2004, 11:32 PM
civicfan8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump and alternator lifespan...

I am wondering how long will these parts last in a typical 1996 civic ex? I am thinking about replacing these to avoid being stranded in the middle of somewhere, but hate to replace anything unnecessarily......my civic has 230,000 miles and I am the original owner. So far only the drive axles, timing belt, all other belts, brakes, etc, had been replaced and everything else is original...

Thanks for any advice...
Old 04-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

You can take your car to an advanced auto parts (or probably any place) and they have a machine they hook to the battery to test it and the alternator. My girlfriend had a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT and the battery light came on the dash. They ran about a 4-5 minute test and told me the batteries fine, but the alternators not putting out a sufficent charge (hence the dash light). I bought a reman from them for about $100 after the core charge and the problem was solved (the one I pulled off was a reman too though, so there must be an issue with that car, she sold it since).

Anyway, long story short, you can test the alternators output to see how healthy it is, most auto parts places will do it free hoping you'll buy your new alternator from them. I don't know the average lifespan of a fuel pump, but I haven't heard too many stories about them failing either.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

sounds like you like to drive a lot!! yea you can also have your fuel pressure tested to see how much pressure you've got. in my experience the fuel pump has just gone without warning tho when it does go...
Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 PM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Originally Posted by civicfan8
I am wondering how long will these parts last in a typical 1996 civic ex? I am thinking about replacing these to avoid being stranded in the middle of somewhere, but hate to replace anything unnecessarily......my civic has 230,000 miles and I am the original owner. So far only the drive axles, timing belt, all other belts, brakes, etc, had been replaced and everything else is original...

Thanks for any advice...
i have an EX but less than 100K miles and also run nitrous which doubles fuel pressure and have yet to have an issue.. its just a guess but i would imagine the fuel pump will start to go in and out.. i dont think it will just stop working all of the sudden... if you notice the car loseing pickup or breaking up under acceleration it COULD indicate a bad fuel system.. i WOULD however replace the fuel filter
Old 04-23-2004, 11:49 AM
civicfan8

Thank you all....I just called my local honda dealer for price and availability, the guy told me this is not an usually stocked item and basically told me even at 230k miles the pump still has a long way to go and don't even bother replacing it......I did have the fuel filter replaced though....
Old 04-23-2004, 12:34 PM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Originally Posted by civicfan8
Thank you all....I just called my local honda dealer for price and availability, the guy told me this is not an usually stocked item and basically told me even at 230k miles the pump still has a long way to go and don't even bother replacing it......I did have the fuel filter replaced though....

im glad to see he agrees...