Notices

about to autocross for first time, anything I should do?

Old 04-14-2004, 10:51 AM
EGteknikhatch
Team Teknik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to autocross for first time, anything I should do?

I have a 92 CX hatch with GSR motor, skunk2 coils, kyb agx shocks, skunk2 rear lower, and a stock gsr front upper strut bar. Anything I should consider before doing this?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i'd post this in the auto-x section.. u'll probly get a better responce in there.. & a more educated explaination
Old 04-14-2004, 10:57 AM
EGteknikhatch
Team Teknik

its already there... I thought I'd go to both
Old 04-14-2004, 10:59 AM
monicle
Repo.Jackmoves.Com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EGteknikhatch
I have a 92 CX hatch with GSR motor, skunk2 coils, kyb agx shocks, skunk2 rear lower, and a stock gsr front upper strut bar. Anything I should consider before doing this?
Have you watched alot of auto-x? if not I would say that between heats if youre not manning the course watch as many of the more experienced (they should be recognisable) drivers and ask if you can go for a ride in one of their runs. Lots can be learned from watching.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:55 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM CivicSiRacer. He'll give you a good bit of info. h:
Old 04-14-2004, 12:47 PM
ManInCamo
Old School Crew

Go slow the first run. and walk the course as much as possible.

try and move as smooth as possible, you don't need to mash the gas as often as you think you do.

thats what i've learned when i went to my first autox last summer.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:53 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

The best words to describe your first time is: "Go slow to go fast". A kamakazi driver will always be the sloweest car out on course, but a smooth and efficient driver will always be fast in the slowest car.

My best hints is always brake in a straight line because you will be using ALL 4 tires to slow you down. If you try to brake into a turn you will only be using 2 tires really maybe even one to slow you down.

Also driving 12/10ths is not going to be the fastest like I mentioned above, driving 8/10ths will be faster. So if you have a problem with understeering and pushing in turns you are driving 12/10ths. My other idea is turn on the A/C it will take power away from your car letting you only drive the car a maximum of 8/10ths.

I've done this with all my students and their fastest time was with the A/C on
Old 04-14-2004, 06:07 PM
EGteknikhatch
Team Teknik

I dont have AC, and what does 12/10ths and 8/10ths mean? (nOOb q)
Old 04-15-2004, 05:30 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it means how hard you're trying...

I'd just take it easy and try and be smooth... You'll find its a lot easier if you look ahead... try and look where your car will be in 3 seconds, not where it is now.

In terms of preparation, its not really a big deal because you're gonna lose anyway (you should be in SM, a really tough class)... but if you want the car's handling to be the least frustrating, I'd set the rear shocks on full stiff, the fronts on full soft or middle (AGXs are 3-way, right?) Set your front tire pressure to ~40-45, and rear to about 38-35. Just leave your setup the same at that point... If you have any problems, fix them with your driving, not with your car.

And most important, have fun... You're not gonna win, and you might make an ass of yourself (which I've done more than my fair share in my career)... just have a good attitude, and you're sure to have a good time.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:55 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Driving 10/10ths meaning you are driving your car 100%. If you are driving your car 12/10ths it means you are driving your car over the limits it was meant for. Most of the time it will be understeering.

But as we've said you're first year is just a learning experience. Be ready to be humbled your first year. I remember my first year I made fun of someone's Subaru Outback station wagon and how I would kill it. Ended up it was Richard West a National Champion and he killed me in his stock Subaru by like 10 seconds!

When you get there let the registration people know you are a novice and if they can help you out. Most of the time people like me get to ride along with you to give you pointers There is alot to learn in autocrossing than just turning left and right and braking.

Quick Reply: about to autocross for first time, anything I should do?