Notices

Tune Up Time

Old 04-11-2004, 06:31 AM
93DituneEX
HIDs teh hotness!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Up Time

Aight yall, just bought my cap, rotor, plugs, and ngk wires. First time changing any of this stuff on my car, anything special I should know before I jump into it?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:08 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need to have the distributor rotor turned correctly so that you can get the screw out. You can do that by cranking the motor for a split second or using a 17mm socket to turn the motor by hand.

You have email btw.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:29 AM
bambbrose

Originally Posted by 93DituneEX
Aight yall, just bought my cap, rotor, plugs, and ngk wires. First time changing any of this stuff on my car, anything special I should know before I jump into it?
Nope man.. its pretty straightforward. Make sure you don't overtighten the spark plugs.. our aluminum heads are weak. when starting the plugs be careful and make sure you have them in straight. crossthreading a spark plug hole is bad news

also make sure you dont forget to use the dielectric grease on the wires.

other than that you are good to go
Old 04-11-2004, 11:21 PM
93DituneEX
HIDs teh hotness!

Originally Posted by bambbrose
Nope man.. its pretty straightforward. Make sure you don't overtighten the spark plugs.. our aluminum heads are weak. when starting the plugs be careful and make sure you have them in straight. crossthreading a spark plug hole is bad news

also make sure you dont forget to use the dielectric grease on the wires.

other than that you are good to go
Not to sound stupid, but what is dielectric grease and is it a must do for the wires?

How much should I gap the spark plugs and what technique do yall use in doing so?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:47 PM
bambbrose

dielectric grease should come with your spark plug wires.. its usually in small packets and is clear.. you put it on the terminals to prevent them from getting stuck on later on down the road
Old 04-11-2004, 11:53 PM
93DituneEX
HIDs teh hotness!

Originally Posted by bambbrose
dielectric grease should come with your spark plug wires.. its usually in small packets and is clear.. you put it on the terminals to prevent them from getting stuck on later on down the road
Thanks!

Anybody wanna share their techique for gapping their plugs? And whats the gap i need?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:59 PM
bambbrose

you have a stock d16z6 right? I think that the gap is .039-.043 inches

also I recommend gaping with the wire style gaping tool instead of the little metal circle style just because the wires are more accurate

edit: I found pics so you can see what the types are in case you dont know. the wire one is a lot easier to use
Old 04-12-2004, 03:52 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#2 being so much better than #1. :yes:
Old 04-12-2004, 08:01 AM
vassil3427

I cant find a picture of it, but I use a gapping tool that kinda of looks like a pair of pliers but has an adjuster to change the gap setting..I think it's made by MAC tools.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Wharbone

The only problem I had was taking out the rotor retaining screw. It wouldn't budge, and I even started stripping the head of the screw. An impact driver solved this. I reccomend one. To get to the screw, just remove the cap and turn the key a couple of times until the retaining screw is visible.

The NGK plugs will probably be really close if not perfect for the correct gap. If they are out, it's not hard to gap them. The auto parts store you get your plugs from would probably gap them for you for free if you ask.

Quick Reply: Tune Up Time