Notices

do i need to get a camber kit?

Old 02-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Xplicid01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need to get a camber kit?

would i need a camber kit for a 1.5 inch drop?

i have gc coil overs and tokico struts.
all my buddys say with out cambers the inside of my tears will be dont within a month. only a 1.5 inch drop, i dont think i need them. thx
Old 02-28-2004, 10:54 PM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

With a 1.5" drop you may experience a little extra tire wear, but I don't think you'll need a camber kit. More importantly, make sure you go to a good alignment shop after the suspension install and make sure your "toe" is set correctly (0 degrees in the rear and up to 1/8" in the front). Toe will wear out tires faster than camber.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Yup, 1.5" and you should be ok. Anything much more than that and you may want to consider a camber kit. Like shivers said, make sure you get it aligned afterwards and you're good to go!!
Old 02-29-2004, 04:00 AM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by Xplicid01
would i need a camber kit for a 1.5 inch drop?

i have gc coil overs and tokico struts.
all my buddys say with out cambers the inside of my tears will be dont within a month. only a 1.5 inch drop, i dont think i need them. thx
Have you had an aligment? If not get one asap, see what the stats are, make sure the set your Toe Right, I would put it to 0 but if this just a street driven vechical I would have them set the toe to specs. See what the camber is, if it is not too severe, like more than 2.5 then leave it , it will only make the car handel better, incorrect toe is what wears the inside of the tires out quickly since you end up "dragging" your ties accross the road.

I got 35000 miles out of my tires with -2.0 camber in the front and -1.3 in the back and my toe set to 1/8th total out in the front and 0 in the rear. Be sure to rotate your tires normally as this will also help even out the wear.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:23 AM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Definitely heed Solracer's advice and get an alignment if you haven't done so already. This is more important to your tire life than whether or not to get a camber kit.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:09 AM
fook
Boosted D Series

I am sitting at 1.75 and my tires are wearing decently and evenly.

You should be ok with 1.5. Like the first guy said, just make sure its aligned.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:50 AM
ManInCamo
Old School Crew

I'd get an alignment kit, although you won't NEED one. You WILL notice more tire wear than you'll like.

and like they said, get the car aligned!
Old 02-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Xplicid01

thx for info. when there installed imma get it aligned too.
So i dont need them, for a 1.5.
But is it worth 200 bucks, for the extra handling?
thx for info so far.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Camber Kits are more for people who are going to be adjusting thier camber a lot , so Unles your camber is way out wack then I would save the money, With Honda's doubple wishbone suspenion when you lower you gain camber and that will help handeling. Height really doesn't matter I have seen the same car lower to the same specs have differnt camber.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Asahi
Administrator

Originally Posted by Solracer
Have you had an aligment? If not get one asap, see what the stats are, make sure the set your Toe Right, I would put it to 0 but if this just a street driven vechical I would have them set the toe to specs. See what the camber is, if it is not too severe, like more than 2.5 then leave it , it will only make the car handel better, incorrect toe is what wears the inside of the tires out quickly since you end up "dragging" your ties accross the road.

I got 35000 miles out of my tires with -2.0 camber in the front and -1.3 in the back and my toe set to 1/8th total out in the front and 0 in the rear. Be sure to rotate your tires normally as this will also help even out the wear.

Best advice I have seen on this topic on a message board in a LONG time. He is 100% correct (Like he didn't already know it )

Quick Reply: do i need to get a camber kit?