Notices

Is it safe to remove my CAT?

Old 02-25-2004, 10:14 PM
supermac88
not OG but Old School

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run my car with no cat because I wan't going to buy used exhaust off of anything over a cx, just to have a cat. I may get a hi flow soon though we will see.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:41 PM
OSX2000
Do what must be done.

Get caught without a cat in California, and your car can be impounded.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:18 AM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by A_PHOBIA
there is ill effect...."you need a certine amount of backpressure"
That is a internet myth, back pressue is a bad thing to have in an exhaust period, ask that questions to some of the People from SMSP or Hytech and the will laugh at you.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:35 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solracer
That is a internet myth, back pressue is a bad thing to have in an exhaust period, ask that questions to some of the People from SMSP or Hytech and the will laugh at you.
:werd: and the only reason smaller piping can be better in n/a exhaust (like why you don't want 3" on your D15) is because appropriately sized piping speeds gasses out of the piping, removes areas of turbulence/eddies in the giant piping. NOT backpressure.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:03 PM
YeaItsAFourDoor
..::-Free your mind-::..

CATs don't affect your engine...if emission wasn't a problem, our cars wouldn't have cats...companies/goverment don't care about the car, just $$ and emissions..
Old 02-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Gearheaddave

Originally Posted by 93HybridCX
I don't think you are getting his point..........a 4 cylinder such as your civic CX has one header (not headers). h:
About that,,,, I have a pair of headman headers on my D16Z6 its 2 totaly diffrent pipes, one goes to the #1 and #3 and the other goes to the 2 and 4... That is why I have dual exhaust..... And I had a high flow cat on it when I did a smog test and it passed with flying colors, I took it off and went to dual and I ran the same readings for Smog..... So I dont really know if a high flow cat even does anything but look like a cat...
Old 02-26-2004, 05:42 PM
StreetProwler

Random Technologies and Powercore are two brands which make high flow cats. They're both 50-state legal, but that's just what makes me wonder if they'd even do much. And they're both well over $200 which is pretty steep for something that "might" give you some more hp.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:04 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gearheaddave
About that,,,, I have a pair of headman headers on my D16Z6 its 2 totaly diffrent pipes, one goes to the #1 and #3 and the other goes to the 2 and 4... That is why I have dual exhaust..... And I had a high flow cat on it when I did a smog test and it passed with flying colors, I took it off and went to dual and I ran the same readings for Smog..... So I dont really know if a high flow cat even does anything but look like a cat...
that sounds pretty dumb to me... and I'm sure thats not what the guy w/ the cx was talking about when he said "headers." And yes, high flow cats (at least reputable ones) do clean your emissions.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:10 PM
tcr03

ive seen some high flow cats that if you look at them they go strait through. are they still considered cats, i mean do they still do there job and let my car pass at the emisions testing station.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:56 AM
YeaItsAFourDoor
..::-Free your mind-::..

Hi flow has something on the sides of the tubing instead of the wire stuff in the path of the exhaust flow...I think?

Quick Reply: Is it safe to remove my CAT?