Notices

Broken Lug Nut...help!

Old 02-18-2004, 10:10 AM
madhandles03
SC34 powered LS-T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Lug Nut...help!

I was trying to take my wheels off yesterday to clean them, and I guess the place who did my springs torqued the lug nuts to tightly, because when I started unscrewing one of the lug nuts, it broke. I think this is probably just because the lug nuts are really cheap, but still, I dont think you should be able to do that by hand. I went to Sears and they couldnt get it off with an impact wrench, because there wasnt enough of the nut left, so now Im really stumped on what to do. Its not that urgent to fix, not dangerous or anything but I really dont wanna get a flat on that tire and be SOL. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this off, please help me out
Old 02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
NoRiCeHeRe

Originally Posted by madhandles03
I was trying to take my wheels off yesterday to clean them, and I guess the place who did my springs torqued the lug nuts to tightly, because when I started unscrewing one of the lug nuts, it broke. I think this is probably just because the lug nuts are really cheap, but still, I dont think you should be able to do that by hand. I went to Sears and they couldnt get it off with an impact wrench, because there wasnt enough of the nut left, so now Im really stumped on what to do. Its not that urgent to fix, not dangerous or anything but I really dont wanna get a flat on that tire and be SOL. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this off, please help me out
Man that is the suxor. Sounds to me like someone is going to have to drill out the bolt for you.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:07 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

if u have a grinder you could grind it down, but you would have to be VERY careful not to hit the threads, or is the wheel in the way for that??
Old 02-18-2004, 12:19 PM
MPerson

Got any pics of it so we can see how severe the problem is?
Old 02-18-2004, 01:49 PM
madhandles03
SC34 powered LS-T

Well I ended up having to take it in to a shop to do it. They drilled the stud and replaced it, it ended up costing $200 with parts and labor. Here is a pic of what it looked like before it was fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0102.JPG (151.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

$200!!!! Holy shit!!!

Remind me never to buy cheap lugs. It would be cheaper for me to cut the rim and tire off then grab onto it with a vise grips then to pay someone $200.

Damn dood, sorry to hear about that.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Gearheaddave

LMAO 200$ did it hurt ? I hope you used some lube when they raped you..... I can tell you how to get that off in 10 minuites or less, all you need is a dremel tool and a flathead screwdriver..... Or if you found 200$ in chance in your back seat you could use that.... I had this hapen to me on my 4x4 and my mustang, my 4x4 I used a dremel tool and cut the lug in half and replaced the Stud, my Stang I took to Napa and they used a nifty striped nut tool you can buy at sears, its 10.00 and it fits on a air tool or a ratchet, it digs into the nut and removes it.... I seriously hope it didnt hurt to bad when they did it...
Old 02-18-2004, 04:00 PM
96JdmAccord
Im So JDM

if you have wheel locks. You are not suposed to tighten them with a impact so if they did that, that's possibly how it cracked.

**At least thats what it says on my wheel locks**
Old 02-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally Posted by Gearheaddave
LMAO 200$ did it hurt ? I hope you used some lube when they raped you..... I can tell you how to get that off in 10 minuites or less, all you need is a dremel tool and a flathead screwdriver..... Or if you found 200$ in chance in your back seat you could use that.... I had this hapen to me on my 4x4 and my mustang, my 4x4 I used a dremel tool and cut the lug in half and replaced the Stud, my Stang I took to Napa and they used a nifty striped nut tool you can buy at sears, its 10.00 and it fits on a air tool or a ratchet, it digs into the nut and removes it.... I seriously hope it didnt hurt to bad when they did it...
wned:
Old 02-18-2004, 04:24 PM
KuttinEdge

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I needed new tires put onto my wheels so I brought it over to Tires Plus. I specifically asked them if they used a torque wrench or something similar to tighten the wheels and they said YES. Next time I took the wheels off, the lugnuts were almost impossible to take off with a normal tire iron and one of the lugs snapped. I then brought it to a local garage and the replaced it for $40 I think.

Arent the wheels supposed to be tightened with a certain amount of ft lbs of torque?
If they are overtightened, can the cause brake rotors to warp?

Quick Reply: Broken Lug Nut...help!