Notices

VTEC question

Old 01-29-2004, 06:26 AM
sky-sol
lets get funk-a-fied

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC question

Ok i know that VTEC comes on in the si at 5500 rpm, i know it makes a different sound, and i know your susposed to feel it engage. Well when i get past 5500 the sound dosent' really chage, it gets really high and fast but that just sounds like fast pistons to me, and i don't feel a damn thing when i get to 5500, just the same acceleration, no kick back in the seat, nothing. Is something wrong, or is it because i have a wimpy automatic??? does anyone have a sound clip of VTEC engagment??? i really hope nothing is wrong :sad:
Old 01-29-2004, 07:31 AM
sxecrow
Banned

You might just have a weak ass D series motor :chuckles:

VTEC kicks in really loud on my car at 4500 rpm. I have a GSR ECU, Greddy Evo Exhaust. You notice it and yea, it kicks you back. You might want to check your oil. VTEC relies on oil pressure, engine temperature, and the ECU programmed to engage it at a certain RPM, etc.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Dr. Isotope

VTEC engagement is variable-- I kick in between 5200-5400 on most occasions. It's not as fierce in the single cams, but you can feel it-- you should at least hear the change in intake sound...
Old 01-29-2004, 08:08 AM
sxecrow
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope
VTEC engagement is variable-- I kick in between 5200-5400 on most occasions. It's not as fierce in the single cams, but you can feel it-- you should at least hear the change in intake sound...
This is true as no two engines run exactly the same. The slighest difference in STP (standard temperature and pressure for you non chemistry buffs) will make a signification impact on VTEC engagement.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:37 AM
sky-sol
lets get funk-a-fied

i notice a sound, ummm like a high pitched buzz of sorts, pissed off bees? i have the right amount of oil, its between the two holes on the dipstick. maybe it is my weak ass d-series :sad:
Old 01-29-2004, 08:39 AM
sxecrow
Banned

Originally Posted by sky-sol
i notice a sound, ummm like a high pitched buzz of sorts, pissed off bees? i have the right amount of oil, its between the two holes on the dipstick. maybe it is my weak ass d-series :sad:
ehhh ... intake and exhaust/header combination will give it some punch. You run 93 octane? I suppose octane wont really matter if you have a lower compression ratio.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:44 AM
sky-sol
lets get funk-a-fied

no just 87, i've heard that the engine "gets used" to the octane you use. when i do use 93 i notice the sol is quicker, but i also get worse gas mileage. i would like to buy an intake, headers, and exhaust, but the 3,500 in savings is for college not car. man i could blow that sooooo fast, another dream.....
Old 01-29-2004, 08:50 AM
sxecrow
Banned

no just 87, i've heard that the engine "gets used" to the octane you use. when i do use 93 i notice the sol is quicker, but i also get worse gas mileage. i would like to buy an intake, headers, and exhaust, but the 3,500 in savings is for college not car. man i could blow that sooooo fast, another dream.....
I should ONLY run 93 octane with my Type R block, but I do use 89 because of the fuel milege. I can snag an extra 90 miles out of my tank on 89 octane as compared to 93. I've compromised a few times and got 91 octane at a local 7-11 but I haven't got it enough to notice how the milege to performance ratio is.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:53 AM
sky-sol
lets get funk-a-fied

90 miles is a big difference, like 3 gallons, i hate my gas gauge, when it is by the line for empty it only fills up like 9.5 gallons, and i can go about 170 on the first half of the tank and only like 100 on the second half. stupid gauge
Old 01-29-2004, 08:58 AM
gots_a_sol

i hate my gas gauge, when it is by the line for empty it only fills up like 9.5 gallons, and i can go about 170 on the first half of the tank and only like 100 on the second half. stupid gauge
:yes: same here :a:

Quick Reply: VTEC question