Notices

engine oil light

Old 01-18-2004, 04:57 PM
jordan88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine oil light

hi, i have a 98 civic ex coupe, with aem cai and cat back, i have aem soil engine oil as well.

For some reason, sometimes when i startup the car, the car starts but the engine oil light went off then comes back on and then go off again.

any idea how come its doing that? isn't it suppose to be on for like about a second after the car starts?

thx
Old 01-18-2004, 06:52 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

try changing the oil
Old 01-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you say you have Amsoil?

When did you put it in? Did you use the right weight oil?

How many miles was on the motor before you switched? Etc?
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 01-18-2004, 07:34 PM
jordan88

around 150,000km
Old 01-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Why are you running Amsoil in a Civic? You still have to change the filter frequently when you're using amsoil and add oil if needed. I know that amsoil runs forever in many cars without servicing, but I really wouldn't do it to an import. Civics are very inexpensive to maintain if you follow the factory reccommended fluids, and they have a great track record for long life without needing to use expensive synthetic lubricants.

The oil light should not come back on after you start your car. It's a pressure-switch activated light. If you're not getting oil pressure at the sending unit, your engine isn't being lubricated when that light is on. That's VERY bad. I'd do as raiden571 says if I were you. If your oil and filter are that clogged up, I'd get it all out of there and start over with what the engine's supposed to use.

If the light comes back on with fresh clean oil in it, then you have much bigger problems to worry about. Your oil pump could be on its way out. The oil pump is driven off the crankshaft. You'd need to basically do a timing belt job and then some just to get to the oil pump, and most shops are going to quote you 8 hours of labor. You have to pull the front case and replace/rebuild it, if it's worn out. Hopefully clean 30w motor oil will fix it. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:13 PM
jordan88

so, is it alrite to switch over to factory oil after using amsoil?

thx
Old 01-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

If you're concerned about that, flush it once and use some oil flush additive. Then refill it. Basically, doing 2 oil changes, but one following the other. Run your car up to operating temperature between oil changes. That should clear everything out of there. You should see a difference in how your oil pressure light works on the first oil change.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:12 PM
jordan88

Just let u guys know that the oil light only after i startup the car when there is a different in temp, cause both time was like this.

Once was after i did a car wash and the other one was at honda, they are both inside with some temperature difference.

but if i start the car up right after i shutted off, the light won't come on, but if i wait for like 15-30mins, then the light will come on after the car starts up and then go off then comes back on then goes off.

thx
Old 01-19-2004, 05:13 PM
jordan88

also i shouldn't really need to change the oil filter with amsoil, cuz since amsoil are alot cleaner then dino oil, that means the oil filter should be clean as well.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Originally posted by jordan88
also i shouldn't really need to change the oil filter with amsoil, cuz since amsoil are alot cleaner then dino oil, that means the oil filter should be clean as well.
Just because you're running a different oil doesn't mean that there isn't the same wear on parts, so your filter is still collecting all the metal shavings and other shit in your engine. Change it.